Premed 101 Forums

23 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

How does this affect incoming first and second year students? Do we also get to choose between Vancouver and Fraser regions for our clinical rotations in 3rd year and if so when would we make this choice? 

The way I understood it it's only a thing starting with the class of 2026 and you'd have the option to pick it on the site selection form. 

10 minutes ago, Dust_Bucket said:

The way I understood it it's only a thing starting with the class of 2026 and you'd have the option to pick it on the site selection form. 

Hm they could mean this but I'm not entirely sure because they also say at the beginning "starting in 2021, students can choose to do their Year 3 Clinical Clerkship rotations in the Fraser region." Which kinda makes it sound like current students could also get to choose between Van region and Fraser region starting this year (2021)? Hopefully we'll get more info soon!

4 minutes ago, Ss123toy said:

Hm they could mean this but I'm not entirely sure because they also say at the beginning "starting in 2021, students can choose to do their Year 3 Clinical Clerkship rotations in the Fraser region." Which kinda makes it sound like current students could also get to choose between Van region and Fraser region starting this year (2021)? Hopefully we'll get more info soon!

Hm good point. I'm sure we'll know soon enough!

This is actually super interesting. What I am speculating is that this is like a pilot project. The reason I think this is because of the NDP promising a new "MD school" at SFU for the 2023/24 year. Just like how UVIC and UBCO and UNBC represent the IMP, SMP, NMP, I think SFU will be the new FMP. UBC will most likely still oversee admission for this new site. Regardless, they are probably doing this to sort out the logistical stuff for this expansion. I hope this means that another 30 seats will be added which would be huge! Anyways that's just my thoughts on why they are doing this.