Premed 101 Forums

What are my chances?

Hello,

I am a prospective IP applicant. I just graduated with my Bachelor's, will pursue my Master's Fall 2021 in Biomed Engineering and then apply for Fall 2022 or Fall 2023. My ECs are not as competitive so I am applying to a lot of opportunities in my grad program. Here are my stats. I know that a lot of you shy away from giving your opinions on whether someone is good enough or not. However, as a non-traditional applicant, I welcome insights from people with more experience than I do. I would be very happy just to hear what you think or how I can further improve based on your knowledge. Thank you in advance!

CGPA for Bachelor's: 3.83/4.00. Recently edited: Thank you for your input I just converted my OGPA to UBC %. It's 88.72%. Are we supposed to convert AGPA as well?

MCAT: 520

I graduated with Distinguished from the University's Honors Program, Dean's List, 1 scholarship.

EC:

1. Different tutoring positions at 2 centers on campus for 3 years (17 hours/week)

2. 4 co-ops at 3 companies in Research n Development, Project Engineer, Process Engineer. Most notable one is a big pharma where I got involved in Covid vaccine projects. Each co-op is full-time for 4 months.

3. Logistic chair for a student organization for 1 yr (7-10hrs/week)

4. Banquet chair for a student organization for 8 months (4hrs/week)

5. Full-time summer research with 1 publication (not first-author)

6. Part-time research for 1 semester (7hrs/week)

7. Short-term volunteers: 1 semester as a clerical hospital volunteer, 1 semester as a greenhouse volunteer, 1 semester at a recycling center (prolly each has 4hrs/week)

My upcoming Biomed Eng Master has a clinical experience where I will get to work in the hospital with healthcare providers on creating better tools. I do plan to become a grad student ambassador, join a clinical research and work as a salesperson at the local zero-waste store, as well as doing well academically. Do you think I will stand any chance of getting interviews with my UBC NAQ score?

NAQ score is kinda impossible to predict tbqh. There's a tremendous amount of variation and randomness in that part of your score, but what you have looks just fine imo. Might be good to highlight any longer-term activities that you have however, as if three's any weak point that might be it. +1 to the idea of converting your GPA though, raw score when you're in the gray area of competitiveness is of limited use.