Premed 101 Forums

Strong Leadership Role (Supervisor) or 2nd Degree?

Noah

Hi everyone, 

I have the opportunity to take on a strong leadership role in the workforce. How much will this benefit my application if I were to take on the role rather than do a second degree? My stats aren't that great, I have 3.6 GPA (OMSAS) and the best two years being a 3.7. My MCAT is a 510 (127,127,129,127). I have a M.Sc. completed with lots of research and a primary publication in a good journal. Am I being screened out of all schools in Ontario? Would it be better to take on a second degree full-time? 

Sadly Gpa is in fact king, so while your leadership position would probably be better training for all things other than md admissions (and probably would modestly improve your non-academic part of the application), a 3.6 cGPA and 2-year 3.7 Gpa will all but shut you out from everywhere that isn’t western (assuming those best years were full time and each 3.7 or better) and NOSM in Ontario imo (and that’s assuming you have the rural factor to be competitive at NOSM). Maybe Mac too, but 3.6 and 127 Cars would be a real long shot there as well.

Wouldn’t be unreasonable to throw the application at Western, crazier things have happened, and maybe Mac if you have spare $, but if you’re serious about Ontario med schools unfortunately a second undergrad with stellar grades would do much more for your chances than anything else, including the new job/role. Really just a matter of if that sacrifice is worth it to you personally to keep pursuing med, and imo it’s definitely something to seriously think about.