Premed 101 Forums

Research at Windsor Campus

Hi everyone

I will be attending Schulich’s Windsor campus this fall and I was wondering how Windsor students usually find research opportunities.

I’m asking because I know most projects are based in London. Does that put Windsor students at a disadvantage?

Do students usually do research during the year (i.e. remotely)? Or Is it common to do research in London or at other med schools during the summer?

Thanks @yobologna :) 

He's 100% correct that there are many clinician-scientists based in Windsor for us to work with! In fact, as part of getting prepared to start your longitudinal research experience you'll be provided with a list of these people along with what they study and how to get in contact so it's super easy to set up. I wouldn't necessarily say it's true that 'most' of our projects are based in London at all! You'll also have the opportunity to attend sessions to learn about research grants that are available over the summer - one of these is called SWORP (Schulich Windsor Opportunities for Research Excellence) and it's a grant specifically for us over here at Windsor campus. I'm participating in SWORP this year so if you want to know more please feel free to DM!

If there is a specific project you're looking to get involved in over at London campus you're very welcome to do so as long as the supervisor thinks you can accomplish it remotely and/or during the summer months. I've also done this and would be happy to chat about how it works.

tl;dr there are lots of research opportunities available for Windsor students at both campuses and based on my experiences I don't believe we're at any sort of disadvantage in terms of research :) hope this helps! 

6 hours ago, CHG said:

Thanks @yobologna :) 

He's 100% correct that there are many clinician-scientists based in Windsor for us to work with! In fact, as part of getting prepared to start your longitudinal research experience you'll be provided with a list of these people along with what they study and how to get in contact so it's super easy to set up. I wouldn't necessarily say it's true that 'most' of our projects are based in London at all! You'll also have the opportunity to attend sessions to learn about research grants that are available over the summer - one of these is called SWORP (Schulich Windsor Opportunities for Research Excellence) and it's a grant specifically for us over here at Windsor campus. I'm participating in SWORP this year so if you want to know more please feel free to DM!

If there is a specific project you're looking to get involved in over at London campus you're very welcome to do so as long as the supervisor thinks you can accomplish it remotely and/or during the summer months. I've also done this and would be happy to chat about how it works.

tl;dr there are lots of research opportunities available for Windsor students at both campuses and based on my experiences I don't believe we're at any sort of disadvantage in terms of research :) hope this helps! 

That's great to hear and very reassuring!

Thank you @CHG. I was actually hoping you'd answer when I posted this haha. Always appreciate your insight re Western (and Windsor specifically)

14 hours ago, MD9511 said:

That's great to hear and very reassuring!

Thank you @CHG. I was actually hoping you'd answer when I posted this haha. Always appreciate your insight re Western (and Windsor specifically)

I'm so glad it's helpful! Always happy to chat over DM if you have any more questions about med life here in Windsor :)

as a side note - people forget about the advantages of doing research at Windsor - numbers. There may be mathematically more research in London (well there is mathematically more) but there is also a lot more people doing it. There is a lot of great research in WIndsor where you aren't fighting with 47 other people to be first author. Same with electives, mentorship, summer opportunities.......

Never underestimate the big fish in the small pond effect. It's huge. 

10 hours ago, rmorelan said:

as a side note - people forget about the advantages of doing research at Windsor - numbers. There may be mathematically more research in London (well there is mathematically more) but there is also a lot more people doing it. There is a lot of great research in WIndsor where you aren't fighting with 47 other people to be first author. Same with electives, mentorship, summer opportunities.......

Never underestimate the big fish in the small pond effect. It's huge. 

Yea that's also true and it's something I didn't consider at first

I guess I just wasn't sure how much research actually goes on at Windsor. It would definitely be more convenient to do something there as opposed to having to move in the summer months or work remotely. 

12 hours ago, MD9511 said:

Yea that's also true and it's something I didn't consider at first

I guess I just wasn't sure how much research actually goes on at Windsor. It would definitely be more convenient to do something there as opposed to having to move in the summer months or work remotely. 

most people don't ha initially - then you get there and you realize (or maybe you don't as there is no comparison) that you have direct access to way more things than in London. I mean in the smaller class it would be completely normal if you were the only person interested in a particular sub field of medicine for your year. That can automatically make you the point person on anything related if you are smart about it. That's how for instance some Windsor grads have surprisingly high levels of OR experience, or shocking good clinical skills (one of my friends rounded prior to class in this field of interest with the "team"......for years prior to class, and thus selectively went for procedures through his time there. Imagine how he was on elective ha after all of that. Now imagine the LOR he got......).