Premed 101 Forums

Applying to med school as a physics major

Hi everyone.

I am currently a fourth year physics major at a university in Ontario.

I have never taken a bio/biochem/orgo_chem course in university. So I have no solid background in most of what the MCAT covers.

My cGPA is 3.82 (with the best two years of my three averaging to 3.95 on the OMSAS scale). So that gives me a little hope.

In addition, I do have 2 years of solid research experience so far.

Right now, I am thinking of pursuing a Masters in Physics (with a focus on radiation oncology physics) after undergrad to give myself some room to study for the MCAT and also have more things under my extracurricular section.

Do you guys think this is a good move? What do you recommend to a pre-med like me? Do I have a chance at any Ontario schools? is it too late?

I would appreciate your advice.

Undergrad GPA is generally the biggest modifiable component - it looks like you've calculated a competitive GPA for McMaster (somewhat) and also for Western (assuming you meet their criteria for course load..).  I'd suggest calculating GPA for other schools as well to see where you stand - given that you have one more year? of undergrad that could really help too.

Since Mac uses CARS directly and Western considers the MCAT more broadly, I do think it'd be worth it to prepare as much as possible.  Many pre-meds with very little science background are able to get through the MCAT so you shouldn't have too much of a problem.  

Improving uGPA is generally the best move for improving competitiveness (could give you a chance at Ottawa).  But, given that your GPA is ok and you seem to be genuinely interested in a Master's then I think grad school could be an ok move (could help at UofT - think you will need to take bio too).  A link to similar post with up-to date breakdown for Master's is linked to below   

It's not too late, especially since you have a solid GPA and good research experience. 

I was also a physics major, though I did manage to take lots of bio/biochem/orgo courses during my undergrad. I echo Indefatigable's advice above - you should calculate how your GPA is evaluated through each school's policy to gain a better understanding of where you stand. I also suggest you look at each school's policy on grad degrees.

Unfortunately this whole process is a lottery, so a good approach would be to follow through with your physics plans while repeatedly applying to medicine over several application cycles. I find that the parts of an application that give the most 'bang for your buck' are the essays (for UofT and Western), and CASPer. Preparing for CASPer, and practicing your ability to express (through essays and interviews) your interest in a few ECs that you are passionate about (as opposed to randomly being involved in many ECs) gives you a great advantage.

Remember that perseverance is key. I think you're in a good position - I wish I did a physics/math Masters or PhD before entering med school. Good luck!