Premed 101 Forums

Quebec graduate applying to Ontario - Pass and Fail grading system

Hi everyone ! 

I will be applying to the match process next year and I had a question regarding the application of Quebec medical graduates.

As you may know, the grading system in Quebec is now pass and fail and all applicants for the 2022 cycle won’t have grades. But how does this work for other provinces ? 

To be honest, I’ve been doing a lot of research and extracurricular activities since I knew that grades wouldn’t matter anymore. But since the past couple of weeks, I’ve been thinking about applying to McMaster and other universities for internal medicine. I’m now scared that my grades will somehow show when I apply through CARMS.

So I’ve had a couple of classes (around 8) where my grades are really low (they let us know when ever we are below average), but didn’t fail a class.  Does anyone from this years application process know if the grades are given to other medical universities when we apply through CARMS? That would be a game changer for me and I don’t think that I’d be able to match somewhere out of Quebec…. 

Thanks in advance for your responses! I’m really starting to freak out here ! 

Are you at Laval or UdeM? As far as I know most Canadian medical schools moved to pass/fail grading a while ago (see: https://www.cmaj.ca/content/189/48/E1499). You should be able to look up your school's policies on what it is that they report on the transcript and mspr. I know McGill has all these policies publicly accessible on their website, and I'm sure other schools will have them tucked away somewhere. Given that pass/fail seems to be the norm and not the exception, I can't see how you'd be at any obvious disadvantage.