Premed 101 Forums

Hey guys,

I’m an Université de Montréal medical student and I have my mind set on internal medicine. I always heard it was fairly uncompetitive due to the large number of spots/programs, but apparently for the last couple of years it’s been really hard to get into. This is really disappointing since I didn’t really want to apply to FM (just all out IM -broadly).

I was wondering if you guys know

1. If it’s still an option to only apply IM and be pretty safe in terms of Carms.

2. How to become competitive? Particularly research, which isn’t an area I’m really experienced in. Would a lot of research really help secure a spot? Are extracurriculars really important? Or do they just want good clinical grades/Letters?

3. Is Quebec different? I’m bilingual but have a preference for staying in Quebec or Ottawa/Moncton because of the French opportunities there. I would apply to both French and English across the country though to increase my chances. Savez-vous si les programmes de médecine interne au Québec recherchent des étudiants ayant fait beaucoup de recherche? 

36 minutes ago, Haribo7173 said:

More and more people do research for IM (and specialties in general) in Quebec, unfortunately because they feel like they have to. Having said that, I know several people who had not done any research and got into IM in Quebec this year. 

Thanks! Do you find that research is more of a checklist thing or does the research have to be top-notch. I would like to do a few research projects in internal med if I can and I’m trying to get involved, but since I don’t have a research background i’m worried it might not be enough.

also do you think some research would strongly increase the chances of matching (along with doing all IM electives, good letters, etc.?)

44 minutes ago, Sonostudenti67 said:

Thanks! Do you find that research is more of a checklist thing or does the research have to be top-notch. I would like to do a few research projects in internal med if I can and I’m trying to get involved, but since I don’t have a research background i’m worried it might not be enough.

also do you think some research would strongly increase the chances of matching (along with doing all IM electives, good letters, etc.?)

I feel like it’s a checklist for many people but some have presented and published (wouldn’t say it’s a majority though but this is just my feeling). I would say that what Quebec schools seem to value in IM is strong clinical performance during clerkship (particularly in IM), good letters and a decent interview. Research isn’t essential but it never hurts. I encourage you to read up on the program descriptions on the CaRMS website to see how important each selection criteria is for each program. 

Just now, Haribo7173 said:

I feel like it’s a checklist for many people but some have presented and published (wouldn’t say it’s a majority though but this is just my feeling). I would say that what Quebec schools seem to value in IM is strong clinical performance during clerkship (particularly in IM), good letters and a decent interview. Research isn’t essential but it never hurts. I encourage you to read up on the program descriptions on the CaRMS website to see how important each selection criteria is for each program. 

Thanks I will definitely do that to tailor my apps!