Premed 101 Forums

MCCQE1 Remotely Proctored

Hi Everyone,

Given the opportunity to take the QE1 from home via ProProctor, I'm wondering if others have had success/difficulties with this? I'd like to know if remote is a better option compared to the test centre? (I thought it might be somewhat more simple remotely due to no need for travel to test centres/masks/etc).

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

Make sure you have access to a second computer in case you have issues with the software. Mine (MacBook Pro from 2012) had issues with the proctoring software crashing. A couple other classmates (with newer computers) also said they had issues. Otherwise very smooth process. Beats driving out to another city to write an 8hr exam.

Thank you both for your input. I agree it's best to weigh the pros/cons of travel (40 minutes for me) vs the convenience of testing at home and having to work through potential software issues. 

Also, given that the upcoming NAC exam is also virtual, I felt it might even be worthwhile getting accustomed to the QE1 in a home environment since there's no way around it for the NAC. 

From my experience, writing it in person was ideal because the exam is so long and basically a test of endurance. There are a lot of questions to complete before getting your first break after 4 hours and I felt that being in that "testing environment" really helped me stay focused and gave me the willpower to finish the sections. Had I done the exam at home with all of the noise and distractions, I don't think I would have been able to finish or perform as well. The test center also provides noise cancelling headphones which was cool as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I did mine remotely proctored!  No complaints - the process was very smooth, and I really appreciated being able to write at home and not have to travel/take the test in a different environment.  I was initially a bit apprehensive about not being able to have a paper to jot down ideas while answering questions, but I didn't miss having one while actually writing.  The only small thing was that I think it took a lot of my computer power to have the video on all day/the exam and proctoring running constantly.  I had my laptop plugged into the charger for the whole thing, as they recommended.  But about halfway through, the fan came on really loud and it got super hot.  Thankfully nothing happened!  My laptop was 8 years old and became non-functional about a month later though, lol - I got very lucky.  So just make sure your device is reliable, and you'll be good to go!

Thanks very much for sharing your experience! 

Perhaps I will see if I can setup a fan behind my desk to keep things cool as it wouldn't be reassuring if my computer starts to have a heat stroke mid-test. Thanks for the heads up!

On 7/16/2021 at 4:33 AM, A_max said:

Thanks very much for sharing your experience! 

Perhaps I will see if I can setup a fan behind my desk to keep things cool as it wouldn't be reassuring if my computer starts to have a heat stroke mid-test. Thanks for the heads up!

No problem!! I'm guessing it was because my laptop was so old, as my friends didn't have the same issue.  So hopefully yours would be just fine!