Premed 101 Forums

Health Science at Waterloo

Hey guys, I just finished my first year of health science co-op at UWaterloo. I did pretty well--secured a 4.0 GPA and 95% average. I went into this program/school because I want to go to medical school after my undergrad and I already have an apartment to stay at in Kitchener--but I am having some doubts about the school, the program and co-op.

-First, the program and faculty is very small. UWaterloo is not a traditional pre-med school. I am having trouble finding resources and people to talk to about wanting to pursue medicine. Even finding extracurriculars to put on my med school application is troubling!

-The program structure is pretty strict. I want to write the mcat in the summer before my third year, but the program requirements aren't letting me take many mcat prep courses before. Unless I drop co-op, I will be doing lower level courses in my fourth year. 

-I heard co-op for health and science sucks at waterloo--like it is really competitive and there's not many positions. It also makes applying for medical schools a little harder

Does anyone have any advice? I was considering switching to another school, but all the transfer applications closed on June 1st. I am also considering switching into biomed sci or honours sci--but they do not have co-op and I heard the extra science courses just harm your chances of going to medical school. I was also wondering if I should stay in co-op.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I would recommend sticking it out or dropping co-op. You are doing well at Waterloo, why risk everything? I could see things going wrong at another school very easily and then you will be stuck with regrets. Even the transfer process is time consuming and tedious plus you will be explaining your transfer for a long time and it stays on your resume for life. I think you'd need more compelling a reason to transfer. 

• 2 months later...

Here are my advice for your consideration: 

1. If your concern with UWaterloo not being a "traditional pre-med school" is that you may not get as many relevant extracurricular experiences, then you may not have to worry. I studied chemistry in my undergrad and didn't have any in-school premed resources, either. I did volunteer at a primary care clinic on my own time outside of school. In any event, Mac said they don't care which academic background you came from, so it shouldn't matter what you are doing, but that you are doing something meaningful. 

2. During undergrad, I had a full plate throughout: taking full course load every year and doing research every summer. So, I never had time set aside to specifically study for MCAT, but I studied for it on my own accords. Doing so, I bumped my score from 491 in first year to 499 in third year and 525 in fourth year. Just saying that it's possible to ramp up your score even if you don't take courses for it. 

3. I don't understand this issue: how does the competitiveness of your co-op program make it harder to apply to medical schools?