Premed 101 Forums

Can OMSAS Gods please help me to see if I am eligible to apply or not?

I'm really confused with all different medical school and their different policies.
I have:
Year 1: 10 courses
[2 courses in summer]
Year 2: 9 courses
[2 courses in summer]
Year 3: 8 courses
Year 4: 8 courses (pending)
I am looking to see if I even apply rather than the cGPA calculation.

Western [Can't - don't have 2 years of full years]
Toronto [All good I think?]
Ottawa [Any academic year comprised of 4 courses per semester will be accepted as full-time and counted in the cumulative grade point average (cGPA) calculation provided that the missing courses (credits) are completed within another academic year or as summer course(s).] [I think this is good?]
McMaster [All good]
NOSM [All good I think?]
Queens [All good]

Anything will help. Thank you so much.

On 6/24/2021 at 6:28 AM, Sunshine! said:

Do you mean that you did 10 courses in first year, plus 2 in the summer (total: 10 courses)? If that's what you mean, your three years out of 4 would be eligible (there is one class missing). If not, I don't think you would be eligible. 

I have done 10 courses (5 fall/ 5 winter) in first year.

Then did 2 in summer [total of 12] after my first year.

Then 5 fall/ 4 winter in second year.

Then did 2 in summer.

Then did 4/4 in third year.

The confusing part with Ottawa was that they wrote "A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) courses per semester is taken is accepted and counted in the cGPA calculation only if the missing course/unit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course." 

So like I thought the summer courses counted towards year 2 in my first summer (because it was after 30 credits) and the second summer courses towards my year 3.

It seems like I am quite confused :( and when I asked they said we are unable to help you outside of the application cycle. Anything will help!

A full-time academic year where the equivalent of four (4) courses per semester is taken is accepted and counted in the cGPA calculation only if the missing course/unit is completed either as an additional course within another academic year or as a summer course. Individual courses taken during a summer session are accepted and the mark obtained is counted in the calculation of the cGPA if completed during the last 3 years of full-time undergraduate studies leading to a bachelor’s degree. Any year with less than four courses per semester will not count as a full-time year of study. A full-time summer semester does not replace a semester of studies within an academic year (except for Co-op programs). AP, IB and transfer units are not recognized as fulfilment of full time studies requirement.

18 hours ago, wonderous_dreamder said:

I have done 10 courses (5 fall/ 5 winter) in first year.

Then did 2 in summer [total of 12] after my first year.

Then 5 fall/ 4 winter in second year.

Then did 2 in summer.

Then did 4/4 in third year.

You should be fine! I did something similar. As long as no fall or winter semester has less than 4 and that you complete the missing "5th" at some point, it's fine. Good luck on your applications!