Premed 101 Forums

Second Degree Accepted?

Hello lovely premed community!

I am desperate to know if there is anyone who has been accepted to UfT based on a second degree. I could really use some guidance and hope!

I'm about to start the fourth and final year of my second undergraduate degree. I have a 3.83 cGPA in this degree, meet the cutoff for the MCAT, and hope to apply during this upcoming cycle. My performance in my first degree was garbage (~2.18) so you can see why I would hate to have both of my degrees assessed together. 

23 hours ago, duahaider said:

Hello lovely premed community!

I am desperate to know if there is anyone who has been accepted to UfT based on a second degree. I could really use some guidance and hope!

I'm about to start the fourth and final year of my second undergraduate degree. I have a 3.83 cGPA in this degree, meet the cutoff for the MCAT, and hope to apply during this upcoming cycle. My performance in my first degree was garbage (~2.18) so you can see why I would hate to have both of my degrees assessed together. 

Hey, so I emailed Admissions. This is what they told me.

"Thank you for your email and for your interest in the MD program at the University of Toronto (U of T).

Although all years of undergraduate study are used to calculate the GPA, applicants can explain any factors that affected their academic performance in their first degree by using the Academic Explanations Essay section in the OMSAS application and request that more weight be given to their performance in the more recent degree program.

You should outline any extenuating circumstances that affected your academic performance and request that your GPA be adjusted to account for these circumstances. You can certainly request that only marks from your more recent degree be used to calculate your undergraduate GPA. It will be at the discretion of the review panel whether to approve your request (or not). As per our usual procedures, decisions regarding application reviews are not shared with the applicants."

Hope that clears things up!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...
On 6/30/2021 at 5:45 PM, JaredMacDonald said:

Hey, so I emailed Admissions. This is what they told me.

"Thank you for your email and for your interest in the MD program at the University of Toronto (U of T).

Although all years of undergraduate study are used to calculate the GPA, applicants can explain any factors that affected their academic performance in their first degree by using the Academic Explanations Essay section in the OMSAS application and request that more weight be given to their performance in the more recent degree program.

You should outline any extenuating circumstances that affected your academic performance and request that your GPA be adjusted to account for these circumstances. You can certainly request that only marks from your more recent degree be used to calculate your undergraduate GPA. It will be at the discretion of the review panel whether to approve your request (or not). As per our usual procedures, decisions regarding application reviews are not shared with the applicants."

Hope that clears things up!

Hey! Did this work out for you? I am thinking of doing a second undergrad. :)