Premed 101 Forums

Getting a Personal Trainer certification

Hi, guys. 
I'm thinking about getting a personal training certification and working as a part-time trainer while i'm in school.   Do you guys think this experience worth it to apply graduate school or be a physio? Thx

Edited by Yoon

• Yoon changed the title to Getting a Personal Trainer certification

Hello!

I've had the same question and I looked for advice from my physiotherapy mentor. He told me that physiotherapy-related work/volunteering would get me the best chances for the masters in PT (Which worked). So doing volunteering/working in a physiotherapy related environment might be more beneficial for you and for your application. That was my experience :) .

good luck!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/3/2021 at 4:35 PM, Yoon said:

Hi, guys. 
I'm thinking about getting a personal training certification and working as a part-time trainer while i'm in school.   Do you guys think this experience worth it to apply graduate school or be a physio? Thx

I'm a trainer right now and it's good experience but not necessary obviously.  Unless you're training ppl privately you likely wouldn't get hired at a gym given time constraints developing a roster of clients.  After being hired most gyms expect you to spend lots of time at the gym throughout the busy hours of the day.  Unless a gym is willing to hire you as an evening block trainer.  Getting certified is costly, can be between 700-1200 depending on the certifying body.

Just focus on school and getting high marks.  Apply for some shadowing/volunteer work at a physio clinic as you'll get a direct perspective of the ppl you want to someday help.  You can apply rehabilitative knowledge to how you train clients but it all kind of falls under the same basic movement patterns and can be bit boring.

If you don't get into physio right after school, a training job isn't half bad.  And you can work your way up to a decent income depending on location.  But it's a heavy sales job that can be taxing mentally and very stressful early on.