Premed 101 Forums

Save up to $600 on your Ontario Medical School Applications!

Learn more about the program by following the Price of a Dream on Instagram (@priceofadream_md), accessing our toolkit, or going directly to the Association of Faculties of Medicine of Canada website. We want to help as many people as we can, so please check it out if you are from a low socioeconomic status background and spread the word :)

Application Fee Waiver Program Post for Pre-Med 101.png

They literally have stolen thousands of dollars from Medical Students with the AFMC portal for the last 5-6 years. Probably how they are able to afford to create this program. Looks good and all but they will recoup the money once the applicant is in medical school  and applying for electives. I’m pretty sure AFMC has been posting profits of several million dollars just based on the elective portal. This is a way for them to appear like the good guy and protect their gravy train.

7 hours ago, Aetherus said:

This is a way for them to appear like the good guy and protect their gravy train.

this ^^
Plus, due to the super non-transparent requirements and the bizarre formula that they use (I checked it), only a few people (if any) will benefit from this program. So, in reality, OMSAS/AFMC will be out of a couple of thousand dollars, an equivalent of 10-20 regular applicants and that's it. A low price to pay for PR purposes.

Moreover, I'd expect a sharp rise in OMSAS/AFMC fees in one or two cycles. So, in the end, all these charity stunts will be paid by regular applicants.

So, don't be naïve and start praising them. These application services are absolutely for profit, and they will never allow profit cuts.