Premed 101 Forums

Are you applying as an in-province applicant to any other Canadian Medical Schools?

I noticed that "Are you applying as an in-province applicant to any other Canadian Medical Schools?" is a new field in OAS.

What are everyone's thoughts on this, are you applying as an in-province applicant to any other Canadian Medical Schools? Any ideas why they may be asking this? 

• 2 weeks later...

I am (hoping to) apply to UofA and UBC and was a bit nervous when I saw that question on OAS. I had emailed UBC asking about it last year and they said something along the lines of "you should not be applying to UBC as IP if you are claiming IP for other schools as well". So I am also curious what people's thoughts are...surely this has been done before?

20 hours ago, one_day said:

I am (hoping to) apply to UofA and UBC and was a bit nervous when I saw that question on OAS. I had emailed UBC asking about it last year and they said something along the lines of "you should not be applying to UBC as IP if you are claiming IP for other schools as well". So I am also curious what people's thoughts are...surely this has been done before?

I wouldn’t worry about it. Different schools have different criteria, and some with looser criteria have it because they want to attract people who have a higher likelihood of staying in a province to practice (you went to high school there, etc). There’s going to be overlap - for example, if you live in the Yukon you can be IP for several provinces. You don’t choose whether you meet the criteria for different schools - generally if you meet the criteria then you’re treated as an IP applicant, and that’s that.

I suspect what matters most is that you clearly meet the criteria for UBC and aren’t trying to claim to be an IP applicant when you’re really a resident of another province (e.g. you got BC MSP coverage while in living in BC for school, and then left the province for longer than the allowed period of time without notifying MSP or applying for health coverage in your new province, so you still have a coverage but technically you shouldn’t). 

Edit: my guess is that they’re asking because they’ve noticed some people pushing the limits of what’s allowed, or they have a lot of ‘IP’ applicants declining offers to go to other schools, and so they’re trying to gather data to figure out if their definition is working / makes sense.