Premed 101 Forums

Matching into family without an elective?

9 hours ago, batmanisthebestsuperhero said:

Is it possible to apply to family medicine and match to one of the more rural programs (not Quebec though) without doing an elective in family medicine? What about anatomical pathology? 

Anything is possible. What matters more for CARMS is if it’s probable and if you’ll get something you’d actually be happy with. It is possible to match into family without electives, although it can be difficult to get some of the more desirable programs. It is also possible to match into some rural programs, particularly any unpopular ones that tend to have left over seats year over year - but many rural programs are actually very popular, and because they have limited seats compared to urban programs, tend to easily fill up. 

13 hours ago, batmanisthebestsuperhero said:

Is it possible to apply to family medicine and match to one of the more rural programs (not Quebec though) without doing an elective in family medicine? What about anatomical pathology? 

I got FM interviews everywhere with 1 week of FM elective. I applied to CaRMS with 2 FM ref letters. One from my core and one from my 1 week elective. 

I don't know about AP - but my friend matched to AP with no electives prior to CaRMS. However she did 1 elective after CaRMS deadline.

@shikimate I was moderately interested in the past, i don't think I would hate it. The programs you're referencing, are they general path or anatomical?

6 hours ago, shikimate said:

It's possible with pathology programs that aren't popular, although I doubt you'll last in the program if you have zero interest. It's not a good idea to match to something very niche like pathology without some interest/appreciation for the work, lest you turn yourself into one of those zombie residents for the 5 years. 

I do know some coresidents of mine who matched to rural Newfoundland with no family med electives. I enjoyed my time here, but you know yourself if two years in a place like rural coastal villages is for you or not. That said, family med is getting more competitive, although snowmaggedon got us good for match rates LOL. It's probably still in your interest to fit in at least one FM elective if you really want a decent shot at family med. I did also know of people who got interviewed with no electives but went unmatched despite programs having leftover spots - i.e. they chose not to rank the applicant and go unmatched rather than take them so. 

On 8/1/2021 at 5:01 PM, batmanisthebestsuperhero said:

@shikimate I was moderately interested in the past, i don't think I would hate it. The programs you're referencing, are they general path or anatomical?

General pathology is less competitive, but actually have better job prospect. Anatomical is a tad more competitive, but have poorer job prospect.