Premed 101 Forums

Do most people fill out all NAQ spots?

We have no way of knowing, but I would hazard a guess that most people get close.

With respect to the Diversity section, that is probably the section that people fill out the most. As you mentioned, hobbies can go in this section, which can fill out the numbers a lot.

Personally, I'm someone that liked to jump into non-academic opportunities whenever I could; of my peers, I probably took on the most amount of "traditional" premed activities. Even with that, however, 8 of my 10 possible Diversity entries are hobbies or personal life experiences. This section is really to showcase who you are as a unique human being and not just as an applicant.

As a counter-example, I would advise against putting a crisis line volunteer experience in this section; although UBC says there are no 'incorrect' section selections, I still think it'd be smarter to stick this in Service Ethic or somewhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @soccermed123 and for anyone else wondering,

I echo the above -- diversity of experiences section usually does fill up for the majority as it can be the "other" category where you share your experiences that have shaped you other than leadership, capacity to work with others, etc. If you start listing out every possible thing you've done and are currently doing, like @pretty daffodils mentioned, you'll find you'll have more than enough activities to complete your application (except for potentially the high performance section).

If you have an empty entry on your application and you're wondering whether you should include an activity of yours or not, I would strongly recommend you do so. It is extremely unlikely that UBC will dock you points for including a certain activity. In other words, the minimum you can get on an entry is 0. If you submit an empty entry, you're bound to score 0 for it but if you have something written out, you may score some points that can contribute to that specific NAQ category and your overall NAQ score.

All the best in your application!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a little stuck on this section, too! Some of my hobbies were related but short lived, for example I choreographed dance routines for various campus clubs. Each routine however, probably didn't add to more the 50 hours start to finish/performance. Other hobbies I'm not sure are what a medical admissions committee is looking for (for example, in addition to more typical hobbies, I enjoy making allergy friendly/healthy recipes for myself and friends/family with dietary restrictions, after struggling with them myself and pursuing an undergrad in nutrition).