Premed 101 Forums

Should I do another undergrad?

Hi all, 

I have only recently started considered medicine as a potential career, and I am not sure if I would need to repeat an undergraduate degree to get in to a Canadian medical school. I graduated my first undergrad degree in 2016 (BSc - Life Science with all pre-reqs for most medical schools). Following which I completed did a graduate diploma and am currently finishing my masters degree in Global Health (with thesis, and 3 publications). I have also worked for the Canadian army as a medic (3y part time, 2 y full time, including operational deployments due to COVID-19).

My undergrad stats are as follows:

Year 1 - 3.5 (9 courses)

Year 2 - 3.65 (10 courses)

Year 3 - 3.8 (10 courses)

Year 4 - 3.5 (10 courses)

Thanks for your help in advance!

• 2 months later...

Depending on your school of choice, you may or may not have to get a second undergraduate degree in order to get in. For instance, Queen's calculates a two-year GPA, which, if your second and third years get used in calculation, would turn out to 3.7+, which is a score some applicants managed to get in with (see the Acceptance/Rejection/Waitlist sections of school-specific forums for the stats). Also, in some schools (was it McMaster or UofT? It escaped my memory at the moment), a conferred Master's or PhD degree gives you a boost on GPA. 

On 8/8/2021 at 12:06 AM, GreenSnakeMedic said:

What are your thoughts on applying as a graduate applicant? Are graduate degrees worth anything at all in the process? or is it mostly just false expectation..

I was under the impression that applicants with graduate degrees could get in with a lower undergrad GPA.

Hopefully you find this information useful, but please don't take my word for it, look into the OMSAS website (or the websites of your schools of interest outside of Ontario) yourself to make sure: 

https://www.ouac.on.ca/guide/omsas-guide/