Premed 101 Forums

Med onc fellowship after residency? (vs rad onc)

I was wondering if you needed to do a 2 med onc fellowship in a specific site after residency to practice where you want or if you can just go to a non-academic centre and start practicing immediately after your 5 years are done? 

I have met a bunch of fellows doing 2 year fellowships in specific sites but this is in a super academic center so it might not reflect the general situation.

I am currently considering rad onc and med onc and have done shadowing and research in both and am trying to decide which I would prefer. I've heard most rad oncs do a 1 year fellowship nowadays and have less options on where to practice but have a better lifestyle and slightly higher salary form what I've seen if they get the job. If you can't get a job within your province though that would suck.

I've heard med onc is more of a grind especially during residency years but jobs are more plentiful once you are done and your lifestyle returns to normal.  Med onc also feels more secure at the moment because they are not tied to the modality of just radiation and have a background of internal medicine that you can fall back on (correct me if I'm wrong).

I still feel very torn between the two as I can see myself doing both and I think both are great specialties for different reasons. If anyone has some insight that would be appreciated.