Premed 101 Forums

Family medicine elective

3 hours ago, lmck said:

Hey, 

Applying to FM, but only have 2 weeks of FM elective in palliative. The rest are a smattering of other specialities (i.e., neuro, derm, anaes, ICU , ENT). Is this ok given that it shows my elective profile is very diverse? I wasn't able to get more FM electives 2/2 COVID.

Thanks

Is FM your first choice field? or are you backing up. It's odd to not have any family medicine electives if you are applying primarily to FM. The diversity of electives can be to your favour as long as its not obvious you are gunning for something else. 

What do you mean by 2/2 to covid? Are there no FM electives at your program? are you an IMG? 

5 hours ago, lmck said:

CMG. Many FM electives were not accepting students due to covid (e.g., volume down, or no clinical exposure given favouring telemedicine). Also we are restricted to doing electives at our home school so there was ++ demand for less elective spots. 

Palliative medicine is technically an FM elective no? 

Edit: Yea, I think the diversity of my electives should make it more obvious that I want FM.

Strange. As long as you are truly going for FM, then you probably will be fine. Not being able to get any proper FM electives is suprising. Generally volumes are actually not down, but some places are still favouring virtual vs in person - but that shouldn't translate into not taking learners. Sounds like you got a short straw with elective offerings.  Pall med is a focused practice, so i personally dont consider it a proper family medicine elective like clinic based medicine for bread and butter. 

You cant change it now assumingly, other than emailing your schools admins and stress how important it is for you to get a family medicine elective. I think overall it wont be super detrimental, but certainly it wont look as good as having done at least 1 if not 2 family medicine electives. Most people who are all-in on FM usually will do at least 4 weeks of proper FM, or 8 weeks, but ofcourse many match to FM without any electives and just a broad smattering - which is okay, just might mean having to prove yourself more.