Premed 101 Forums

can someone explain how a typical week + daily breakdown is

Check out this thread from last year, my post has an example of what our schedule looked like in Elentra when we were still in person. Obviously there will be some differences (the large lectures will be online etc) but volume of class time should be about the same as far as i'm aware.

Your very first week of content may be a little different - in my first year the first week was entirely lectures with no small groups/clinical skills/anatomy just to introduce us to everything. 

Weekly schedules are typically released on the friday before at around 4pm which is difficult to get used to, but you'll get into the swing of things! Happy to answer any follow up questions you may have! hope this helps :) 

Wow the curriculum has changed so much, so many small groups. Honestly I have mixed feelings about them. If you have a great preceptor and "click" with the other group members it's wonderful. But sometimes clearly the groups is dysfunctional and waste of time. One thing I wish they re-organize is PCCM, because some of the topics would benefit from more indepth coverage. How do people feel about these SGL and independent learning times?

1 hour ago, shikimate said:

Wow the curriculum has changed so much, so many small groups. Honestly I have mixed feelings about them. If you have a great preceptor and "click" with the other group members it's wonderful. But sometimes clearly the groups is dysfunctional and waste of time. One thing I wish they re-organize is PCCM, because some of the topics would benefit from more indepth coverage. How do people feel about these SGL and independent learning times?

As the first year of the newest edition of the curriculum I think most of our class agrees that one of the best parts is having the same extra day of the week off each week. It helps break up the week and also gives you a reliable day to book your meetings, OCLOs, appointments, grocery shop, etc. I think the preference for the ratio of small groups to other stuff will depend on the individual. I prefer small groups > synchronous lectures > asynchronous lectures but that's not the case for everyone in the class. UME did go a bit too far during respirology and covered some important topics only through small groups which created some inconsistencies in teaching and resulted in poor exam grades for that block. The best blocks have been the ones that were organized, introduced basic science and important clinical concepts through asynchronous modules, reinforced the application of those concepts through clinical cases in small groups, and then synthesized everything in concise large group sessions.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:21 PM, CHG said:

Check out this thread from last year, my post has an example of what our schedule looked like in Elentra when we were still in person. Obviously there will be some differences (the large lectures will be online etc) but volume of class time should be about the same as far as i'm aware.

Your very first week of content may be a little different - in my first year the first week was entirely lectures with no small groups/clinical skills/anatomy just to introduce us to everything. 

Weekly schedules are typically released on the friday before at around 4pm which is difficult to get used to, but you'll get into the swing of things! Happy to answer any follow up questions you may have! hope this helps :) 

Just curious about if there are any presentation assessments?