Premed 101 Forums

Should people without any real maritime connection be trying to get into Dal?

I see these posted all the time. People from Toronto or Vancouver (or other big city) trying to get into Dal and asking what to say in their maritime connection essay. Does this seem dishonest to ask what to say to fake some connection and get an interview? It seems like many people are trying to seem like they would love being in the maritimes just to do med school and leave.

3 hours ago, hopeful_maritimer said:

I see these posted all the time. People from Toronto or Vancouver (or other big city) trying to get into Dal and asking what to say in their maritime connection essay. Does this seem dishonest to ask what to say to fake some connection and get an interview? It seems like many people are trying to seem like they would love being in the maritimes just to do med school and leave.

At least in cycles past, you 100% don't need any kind of connection to the maritimes at all to score the interview. Talking about why you think you'd be a good fit for the province/program is sufficient, I've seen many people get the interview that way in the last several years. That said, that aspect of the application is more or less a huge lottery lol, so definitely shoot your shot and hope for the best, but don't take it personally if it doesn't pan out!

Even with a maritime connection, the OOP pool is highly competitive. Like I went to Dal for my undergrad where I spent like 4 years of my degree doing research and volunteering at the hospital and built a pretty strong connection with the community, went back to Ontario to do my masters, and then came back to NS and work at the hospital now. So I would say very strong connection as an OOP applicant, and I still didnt get in last cycle. I got waitlisted, but its so tough to get in as an OOP! Obviously not impossible, but you have to really want to go to Dal to put all your effort into your essays and supplemental and stuff to just snag an interview. 

On 8/10/2021 at 9:57 AM, hopeful_maritimer said:

There will always be those who did and those who did not. I personally got an interview and acceptance and I’m from Toronto. I had almost zero connection to the Maritimes. I wrote my connection essay in a way that showcased that i truly wanted to practice in the Maritimes, which was true. 

The cycle repeats every year and you’ll hear success and failure stories. This is more or less noise, no disrespect intended to anyone. What I mean is, if I had listened to everyone saying I wouldn’t get in, I may not have applied. Yes it’s a small chance and yes it’s a big pool and yes your connection may not be great, but you do you, put your best foot forward, and the rest is out of your hands. If you truly are passionate about Dal and you’re from OOP, it will be reflected in your application and the admission committee will notice it. 

Good luck!