Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, LETSGOPT2022 said:

Going to be an interesting year for applications! For anyone who has done applications before (this is my first), when is the recommended time to write the Casper test?

Make sure you check the dates for the programs that interest you but personally I'd say find a time where you have time to prep and write it without getting in the way of your current academic year. For me it was during the holiday break but it can be a little different for everyone. I had friends write in the fall or even later in the new year.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:55 PM, LETSGOPT2022 said:

Going to be an interesting year for applications! For anyone who has done applications before (this is my first), when is the recommended time to write the Casper test?

My understanding is that it can be done anytime before the deadline that the school set.

12 hours ago, PFPT said:

Hey everyone!

I found this resources for CASPer test prep and thought I’d share. It’s practice test scenarios and you can review your peers and have answers submitted to be reviewed. Kinda stressful lol but it feels like it’ll help! 

https://prepmatch.com 

Wow this is amazing! Thanks for muc!!

On 9/16/2021 at 3:31 PM, dentistry_hopeful said:

Hi, I'm looking at the U of A PT admissions. One requirement is the: Canadian Indigenous History course that you can take online for a certificate. Anyone with any experiences taking it?

I took it earlier this year, its an online self driven course so its up to you how you want to pace your work - overall its a great learning tool

Hi there!

I will be applying for the MOT program at UBC in the next few weeks! I think it’s a long shot I’ll be accepted as my gpa is only around 81% and I know the competitive average is at least 85%.  Just wondering what everyone else’s experience is regarding work/volunteer experience?

I’d figure I’d give it a shot and see what happens :) 

17 hours ago, IdreamofOT said:

Hi there!

I will be applying for the MOT program at UBC in the next few weeks! I think it’s a long shot I’ll be accepted as my gpa is only around 81% and I know the competitive average is at least 85%.  Just wondering what everyone else’s experience is regarding work/volunteer experience?

I’d figure I’d give it a shot and see what happens :) 

Good luck with your application! I too have an average thst is close to yours. I'm going to make sure my personal statement is very strong, and try to score well on the Casper. 

In terms of my ECs, I have volunteer experience in a neuroscience lab. Not specifically OT related, however, brain injury is my focus and I plan to make that clear to admissions. I also have volunteer experience working 1 on 1 with youth with developmental disorders to develop daily activity programs. 

I have work experience with a city to coordinate community bicycle rides. I also have work experience as a support working for individuals with neuroxevelopmental disorders, and most recently, have shifted to brain injury populations.

With this being said, I know somebody that was accepted into every OT program in Ontario. Her GPA was 3.94, but most of her ECs didn't involve anything related to OT. Instead she was able to discuss why those experiences would make her a strong candidate for OT.  

I hope this is helpful in some way!

For anyone that has been through the application process or has gotten accepted to a PT school in Ontario, please let me know how you would perceive my application! :)

sGPA: 3.88

EC outside of PT: Head fitness trainer for elite tennis program (mainly developing athletic potential), soon to be co-author on vascular-related issues for peripheral artery disease, actively working on a meta-analysis/systematic review testing whether unstable load lifting produces greater EMG activation, volunteered (prior to covid) in urology clinical setting at a hospital.

PT experience: Co-op student as early as grade 11 in a physiotherapy clinic, then volunteer/shadow at two more clinics after that. However, I'm afraid the total hours may be low compared to others (total around 300ish)

Thanks for taking the time! Much appreciated

7 hours ago, Ot2022 said:

Good luck with your application! I too have an average thst is close to yours. I'm going to make sure my personal statement is very strong, and try to score well on the Casper. 

In terms of my ECs, I have volunteer experience in a neuroscience lab. Not specifically OT related, however, brain injury is my focus and I plan to make that clear to admissions. I also have volunteer experience working 1 on 1 with youth with developmental disorders to develop daily activity programs. 

I have work experience with a city to coordinate community bicycle rides. I also have work experience as a support working for individuals with neuroxevelopmental disorders, and most recently, have shifted to brain injury populations.

With this being said, I know somebody that was accepted into every OT program in Ontario. Her GPA was 3.94, but most of her ECs didn't involve anything related to OT. Instead she was able to discuss why those experiences would make her a strong candidate for OT.  

I hope this is helpful in some way!

I've heard similar... its not necessarily what the EC is, but how you can relate it to your own goals within either PT or OT. I guess that's where writing skills will be crucial come application time.

1 hour ago, LETSGOPT2022 said:

For anyone that has been through the application process or has gotten accepted to a PT school in Ontario, please let me know how you would perceive my application! :)

sGPA: 3.88

EC outside of PT: Head fitness trainer for elite tennis program (mainly developing athletic potential), soon to be co-author on vascular-related issues for peripheral artery disease, actively working on a meta-analysis/systematic review testing whether unstable load lifting produces greater EMG activation, volunteered (prior to covid) in urology clinical setting at a hospital.

PT experience: Co-op student as early as grade 11 in a physiotherapy clinic, then volunteer/shadow at two more clinics after that. However, I'm afraid the total hours may be low compared to others (total around 300ish)

Thanks for taking the time! Much appreciated

Where do you plan on applying ?

4 hours ago, PTPLEASE! said:

Hi! I'm reapplying to UBC PT this year. I'm thinking of asking the same references I used last year but I was wondering - does anyone know if it's okay for my references to submit the same reference they wrote last year or would I have to ask them to write a whole new reference? 

You have to get them to re do them! 

I am applying for the first time. PT for all programs across canada in hopes to get an admission somewhere. Also going to write the CASPER test for the first time, does anyone have any tips? Also trying to figure out how to calculate my gpa on a 4.0 because mines was on a 4.33gpa scale. 

Does anyone have any tips for applications? 

18 hours ago, PT2022-- said:

I am applying for the first time. PT for all programs across canada in hopes to get an admission somewhere. Also going to write the CASPER test for the first time, does anyone have any tips? Also trying to figure out how to calculate my gpa on a 4.0 because mines was on a 4.33gpa scale. 

Does anyone have any tips for applications? 

I've used this site for GPA conversion: https://www.whatsmygpa.ca/

On 10/3/2021 at 9:40 PM, LETSGOPT2022 said:

All Ontario schools - UofT, Mac, Western, Queens. I'm a resident of Ontario

Seems like a strong application, the key is to properly link all those activities to PT and it's essential competencies and also understand how those experiances have shaped you in order to guide your personal statements and some answers to the (slightly excessive) admission tests you will inevitably go through over the next few months. 

17 hours ago, PT0102 said:

Seems like a strong application, the key is to properly link all those activities to PT and it's essential competencies and also understand how those experiances have shaped you in order to guide your personal statements and some answers to the (slightly excessive) admission tests you will inevitably go through over the next few months. 

Appreciate this! Thank you

This is my first time applying for OT schools. I'm trying to calculate my GPA, but my transcripts are all letter grades. I'm wondering how UBC finds your competitive GPA (at least 85%) when your transcripts are all in letter grades. Is there a link that I can use to calculate this myself? My school followed the 4.33 scale.

On 10/7/2021 at 12:45 PM, OT2o22 said:

This is my first time applying for OT schools. I'm trying to calculate my GPA, but my transcripts are all letter grades. I'm wondering how UBC finds your competitive GPA (at least 85%) when your transcripts are all in letter grades. Is there a link that I can use to calculate this myself? My school followed the 4.33 scale.

My school also uses the 4.33 GPA! I found this website helped me convert it though.

WhatsMyGPA.ca - Canadian Universities and College GPA Calculator