Premed 101 Forums

OT/PT Accepted / Waitlisted/ Rejected - 2022 Cycle

On 8/15/2021 at 7:14 PM, Ot2022 said:

Hi everyone, 

Applications for many schools will be opening up in two months! I thought I'd get the ball rolling a little early! 

Applied + (PT or OT?):
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:
GPA:c-gpa and s-gpa
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references

Accepted: uOttawa
Waitlisted: McGill, Queen's, McMaster (>100)
Rejected: Western, UofT (after CAP)
GPA: c-gpa 7.96/10 (not going to bother converting lol) and s-gpa 3.84/4
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: By the time applications are due, I'll have worked ~2500 hrs in a very multidisciplinary clinic as as a PTA and then R.Kin, alongside mainly PTs and OTs. Also have ~500 hrs between cardiac, stroke, and sport settings. I'm quite confident in my personal submissions, CASPer/Kira, and references due to my experience and the connections I've made through them. 

CASPer quartile: 4th/top quartile

I unsuccessfully applied in 2020 so it helps already being familiar with the various applications components - at that time my sGPA was a huge weakness and I've since improved it! For anyone feeling worried/down about not getting in right away, it's SO normal and SO okay. I finished undergrad a few years ago and the practical experience and break from school has been SO worth it. I feel much more prepared, mature, and confident now to go through PT school :) Feel free to ask me about it!

Edited by PTPTPT
updates

On 10/15/2021 at 9:54 AM, PTPTPT said:

Would love to see this thread get used mostly just for stats to make it easier to look through :P

Applied (PT): Western, UofT, Queen's, McMaster + maybe uOttawa, McGill
Accepted:
Waitlisted:
Rejected:

GPA: c-gpa 7.96/10 (not going to bother converting lol) and s-gpa 3.84/4
Perceived strength of essays/interviews/references: By the time applications are due, I'll have worked ~2500 hrs in a very multidisciplinary clinic as as a PTA and then R.Kin, alongside mainly PTs and OTs. Also have ~500 hrs between cardiac, stroke, and sport settings. I'm quite confident in my personal submissions, CASPer/Kira, and references due to my experience and the connections I've made through them. 

I unsuccessfully applied in 2020 so it helps already being familiar with the various applications components - at that time my sGPA was a huge weakness and I've since improved it! For anyone feeling worried/down about not getting in right away, it's SO normal and SO okay. I finished undergrad a few years ago and the practical experience and break from school has been SO worth it. I feel much more prepared, mature, and confident now to go through PT school :) Feel free to ask me about it!

Hey there! 

Thank you for your post! Which schools are you planning on applying to? This is my first time applying to MPT programs, I planning to apply to Ontario schools (Western, Dal, McMac, UofT, Queens), UBC, and U of A. I'm feeling a bit lost in application processes and would really be grateful to get some input: 

1) How did you choose your references and did you have any references that ask for a template/ draft? If so, what are your tips on writing a strong letter while sounding genuine? 

2) Have you applied through the ORPAS system and if so what are some pointers you think would benefit first time applicants? 

3) From your experience, what is the best/ most efficient way to contact ORPAS (ie. phone, SAM, text). 

Thanks in advance for being willing to answer questions! 

On 9/26/2021 at 12:31 PM, PT0102 said:

Make sure you check the dates for the programs that interest you but personally I'd say find a time where you have time to prep and write it without getting in the way of your current academic year. For me it was during the holiday break but it can be a little different for everyone. I had friends write in the fall or even later in the new year.

Thanks for your response! What are some key ways you found helpful in your CASPER preparation? 

On 9/16/2021 at 12:31 PM, dentistry_hopeful said:

Hi, I'm looking at the U of A PT admissions. One requirement is the: Canadian Indigenous History course that you can take online for a certificate. Anyone with any experiences taking it?

I'm taking it right now, started in September. It's 60$ for the course with the certificate (no credit). Has been quite straightforward so far and is at your own pace. Because U of A's applications are due the latest, I think after Feb 1...if you don't have time during the fall term, u could always just power through it after you've finished the bulk of your other applications. 

Has anyone had to mail in forms of reference to ORPAS? I wanted to give my referee ample time and info about the referee component of the application so I downloaded the reference document...and it seems like the form must be mailed instead of electronically submitted. Would anyone who previously was in contact with ORPAS know the best way to get in touch with them ie. phone/ text/ SAM? Also, if referees can be reset if the reference form has been downloaded? 

4 hours ago, PPTT22 said:

Hey there! 

Thank you for your post! Which schools are you planning on applying to? This is my first time applying to MPT programs, I planning to apply to Ontario schools (Western, Dal, McMac, UofT, Queens), UBC, and U of A. I'm feeling a bit lost in application processes and would really be grateful to get some input: 

1) How did you choose your references and did you have any references that ask for a template/ draft? If so, what are your tips on writing a strong letter while sounding genuine? 

2) Have you applied through the ORPAS system and if so what are some pointers you think would benefit first time applicants? 

3) From your experience, what is the best/ most efficient way to contact ORPAS (ie. phone, SAM, text). 

Thanks in advance for being willing to answer questions! 

Hi! I'm applying to Western, UofT, Queen's, McMaster + maybe uOttawa, McGill. 

1) Academic - a prof that I had for 3 courses who knows me decently well. I know this can be hard though - was honestly a scramble for me because I didn't think about becoming closer to profs until much later in my degree haha. Professional - I work full-time in a clinic and there's only 1 PT so that narrows it down LOL, and we collaborate a lot but also I get to ask a lot of questions. Draft - not so far. Letter - this may not be a helpful answer but I've just worked a lot which provides a lot to reflect on

2) I applied once before. Don't procrastinate!

3) I've only contacted them through SAM and this has been efficient :)

On 10/24/2021 at 7:21 AM, PTPTPT said:

Hi! I'm applying to Western, UofT, Queen's, McMaster + maybe uOttawa, McGill. 

1) Academic - a prof that I had for 3 courses who knows me decently well. I know this can be hard though - was honestly a scramble for me because I didn't think about becoming closer to profs until much later in my degree haha. Professional - I work full-time in a clinic and there's only 1 PT so that narrows it down LOL, and we collaborate a lot but also I get to ask a lot of questions. Draft - not so far. Letter - this may not be a helpful answer but I've just worked a lot which provides a lot to reflect on

2) I applied once before. Don't procrastinate!

3) I've only contacted them through SAM and this has been efficient :)

Thank you for your response! That's really helpful. I'm also applying to the schools you mentioned with the exception of Ottawa. I understand both Ottawa and McGill QY have a French requirement. I completed French Immersion high school in BC, are you aware if this might meet the French language requirement? I've reached out to both schools a while back and haven't heard a response yet. Thanks again! 

On 10/7/2021 at 12:45 PM, OT2o22 said:

This is my first time applying for OT schools. I'm trying to calculate my GPA, but my transcripts are all letter grades. I'm wondering how UBC finds your competitive GPA (at least 85%) when your transcripts are all in letter grades. Is there a link that I can use to calculate this myself? My school followed the 4.33 scale.

Hey! I just attended the UBC OT info night. From what I understand. If you received an A in a course and the average for an A is 85-90, then they will assume your percentage scored is right in the middle (87.5). Usually you can find the letter grade and how it converts to numbers on the back of your transcripts or on your specific school website! Hope this helps :)

On 10/2/2021 at 3:52 PM, IdreamofOT said:

Hi there!

I will be applying for the MOT program at UBC in the next few weeks! I think it’s a long shot I’ll be accepted as my gpa is only around 81% and I know the competitive average is at least 85%.  Just wondering what everyone else’s experience is regarding work/volunteer experience?

I’d figure I’d give it a shot and see what happens :) 

Applying as well! This will be my second year applying at UBC and third year applying overall. Super nervous! Took a ton of courses in the past year and a half to really boost the GPA. Work experience involves working with the school board as a child care worker for three years (one on one work with children with disabilities). A lot of lab research and work relating to northern Indigenous populations and overall health and well-being. Supervised a crisis phone line and took calls in Canada for two years as well. Other experience too but those are my most recent. I'm really hoping my experience and references boost me up! Good luck!

On 10/24/2021 at 6:24 AM, PPTT22 said:

Has anyone had to mail in forms of reference to ORPAS? I wanted to give my referee ample time and info about the referee component of the application so I downloaded the reference document...and it seems like the form must be mailed instead of electronically submitted. Would anyone who previously was in contact with ORPAS know the best way to get in touch with them ie. phone/ text/ SAM? Also, if referees can be reset if the reference form has been downloaded? 

That happened to me! Message through SAM and OUAC can have it reset for you :)

Just curious about peoples thoughts. I’m applying regardless but I am nervous my GPA isn’t going to be competitive enough. 

sGPA - 3.78 (3.7 at UofA since they removed winter 2020 grades ugh) 

completed over 2500 hours of first responder/field athletic therapy hours (required for my AT degree), 800 clinical hours with my own patient load as part of a clinical practicum, volunteering running the first league for physically & cognitively disabled players for a sport I love. Ran a concussion program for youth football players for my cities football league.  

my references I feel are pretty strong - And my experience is adequate and I have other outside experience I’ll be relating to OT/PT as well, but for some reason I feel like my sGPA will not be high enough to get in. Just looking for peoples thoughts! I’m applying to UofA, McMaster, Western, Queens, McGill & Ottawa! 

thanks and best of luck to everyone :) 

4 hours ago, dib1141 said:

Just curious about peoples thoughts. I’m applying regardless but I am nervous my GPA isn’t going to be competitive enough. 

completed over 2500 hours of first responder/field athletic therapy hours (required for my AT degree), 800 clinical hours with my own patient load as part of a clinical practicum, volunteering running the first league for physically & cognitively disabled players for a sport I love. Ran a concussion program for youth football players for my cities football league.  

my references I feel are pretty strong - And my experience is adequate and I have other outside experience I’ll be relating to OT/PT as well, but for some reason I feel like my sGPA will not be high enough to get in. Just looking for peoples thoughts! I’m applying to UofA, McMaster, Western, Queens, McGill & Ottawa! 

So I’m going to comment only on ot.  McMaster is most likely out of the question.  Have a look at their admission data.  3.84 I believe to get an offer to the mmi.  Uoft most likely out of the question.  They say minimum 3.7 but I suspect those who get admitted have significantly higher averages as it’s uoft and they tend to emphasize gpa.

western I think you have a good chance as for whatever reason the average of the most recent admitted class was 3.72. I suspect your chance at queens is just as decent as I think the required gpa there is similar to western.

4 hours ago, dib1141 said:

Coming from an Ottawa student in PT... I have seen some people get in with 3.6-3.7 subGPA and OT even lower plus with those experiances id say its a good chance for that school anyway.

5 hours ago, dib1141 said:

Hey! Whatever others commented on your gpa, I have friends who got into U  of T with 3.74 gpa OT but with decent experiences. Don’t give up! If you write a strong intent it will help you a lot! U of T says they look at their gpa the most but you never know. McMaster says their cut off was 3.84 last year for those who received invitation for interviews and I think it’s pretty accurate since I mine is just lower than that but didn’t receive the invitation. Gpa cutoff for mcmaster is increasing so I’ll be putting aside and go for other schools. Good luck to you!! 

27 minutes ago, HopefulOT2022 said:

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any other place to list/talk about my volunteering/paid experiences other than the personal submission/letter of intent part? And is there any way for us to list how many hours we've dedicated for certain activities?

Good luck everyone, we all got this!!

Resume for uoft and queens

Just booked my Casper test for Dec 9th! Things are starting to feel real lol the amount of things we have to complete before the deadline is pretty daunting! 

Curious if anyone here has applied to both PT and OT (my plan this year) - how did you decide if PT or OT was more suited for you? I'm pretty interested in both, but majority of my experience thus far has been more-so physio related. Interested to see if anyone has any thoughts on this! 

I'm hoping that my sGPA will be strong enough to supplement for my lack of experience. Currently, I am doing a research practicum teaching group fitness to individuals with Parkinson's Disease and collecting data on the effect of our exercise program on their mental health. However, we haven't been able to start teaching as soon as we had hoped, so by the time I apply, I'll likely only have about 20 hours. I volunteered at a physio clinic during the spring and got 55 hours there, but that is my only other experience that is directly related to physio. Other than that, I am president of my school's competitive dance team and received an URSA through NSERC this past summer working in the field of neuropsychology. My sGPA is 3.87, what do you think my chances are?

I was feeling pretty good about my GPA and experiences, however, the huge amount of applicants and small class sizes are pretty intimidating and now I'm not so sure. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated :)