Premed 101 Forums

naturopaths/NDs

premedplz

Naturopaths (NDs) range from selling snake oil to convincing patients not to take cancer treatments. Think of Steve Jobs several years back where he pursued naturopathic treatments and ended up dying an early terrible death from initially treatable pancreatic cancer.

It is not exactly a common path premeds take but some will do anything to try and put on a whitecoat, even if it means killing patients. It's not funded by OHIP but in some provinces (BC) there is prescribing capacity.

While I don't like naturopaths, I can see why some of them are successful and gain alot of patient trust - they have the advantage of time, and well-off patients. Most patients who see NDs often have private employer extended coverage. Thus naturopaths can charge ~150$ a 50 minute session. 

50 mins where they can sit down, get to know patients, and "counsel" them on diet, active living, etc etc, on how to get their "thyroid disorder" "weight issues" etc etc under control.

For alot of basic things in Family Medicine, NDs are able to learn enough to also manage easily, but then can spend 20-50mins, billing the patients insurance(or just the patient themself if willing to pay), without rush of having to head off to the next patient.

I still have disdain for the majority of NDs that shill non-evidence based products, supplements and treatments, but there are some that do good preventative health work - albeit only for a small subset of well-off patients who can afford their rates or have insurance.

If the govt paid me 150$ for 50mins to chill and relax with patients for easy endocrine disorders....well, i still wouldn't do it, because thats a waste of public resources, but some days i would be tempted.

I think you're going to get a more biased opinion on here - I think there are some great NDs out there.  But it's also been my experience that some of the treatments and recommendations have potential to be unnecessarily harmful (ex. putting patients on extremely restrictive diets to "treat" infertility and other things, herbal treatments for various things that end up causing horrible side effects that the pt wasn't aware of, pt stops taking some of their important meds because ND advised them to stop against evidence, etc).  It's generally not evidence-based practice.  If you're curious about whether it's a good fit for you, I would try to set up some shadowing and do some reading about it too.  Good luck!

I've heard of some IMGs (not Canadian students) get a ND because they couldn't port over their residency training and couldn't get a residency spot. I have to imagine that's another way to "practice medicine" as I think you can prescribe, inject, etc. in many provinces. I wonder if those naturopaths just practice evidence based medicine but with the convenience of time and private pay.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2021 at 3:45 PM, blah1234 said:

I've heard of some IMGs (not Canadian students) get a ND because they couldn't port over their residency training and couldn't get a residency spot. I have to imagine that's another way to "practice medicine" as I think you can prescribe, inject, etc. in many provinces. I wonder if those naturopaths just practice evidence based medicine but with the convenience of time and private pay.

Practicing evidence based medicine doesn't make naturopaths money. But selling potentially toxic doses of vitamins sure does...