Premed 101 Forums

Question about 'conferred' graduate degree

Hi guys, 

So for anyone wondering I emailed them to ask and they said that even if you have all of your requirements completed but have not convocated they wont count as completed even if you have a letter from your graduate unit. 

This is different from mac i guess because mac does accept a letter as proof. 

Sucks. 

I'm not sure what the gap between the two is, meaning between conferred and continuing 

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 12:52 PM, drhopeful111111 said:

Hi guys, 

So for anyone wondering I emailed them to ask and they said that even if you have all of your requirements completed but have not convocated they wont count as completed even if you have a letter from your graduate unit. 

This is different from mac i guess because mac does accept a letter as proof. 

Sucks. 

I'm not sure what the gap between the two is, meaning between conferred and continuing 

Thanks for checking this! Do you know if a letter would be necessary for Mac? My transcript says that I have completed all requirements for the graduate degree and my thesis defense, but that I am still active in my MSc program. (Convocation also in Nov)

That's a bummer. I believe that graduate applicants get bonus points in the file review process, and that MSc or PhD conferred might get more points than in progress based on their website description. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/9/2021 at 4:07 AM, 1234561234 said:

Thanks for checking this! Do you know if a letter would be necessary for Mac? My transcript says that I have completed all requirements for the graduate degree and my thesis defense, but that I am still active in my MSc program. (Convocation also in Nov)

That's a bummer. I believe that graduate applicants get bonus points in the file review process, and that MSc or PhD conferred might get more points than in progress based on their website description. 

Hi! Sorry for th late reply!

I think you should defs try to get a letter if you can! Cant hurt right

Best

Hello!

I am just reading this post now. I have contacted Uoft previously and was not told this. They told me I didn't have to show proof of conferral. I have emailed them back and forth to try to explain my situation (conferral in November as a course-based master's and completion over the summer) and they keep on saying that proof of conferral is only required if you are given an offer. I emailed again and tried to explain that I would not have conferral by Oct. 1st and would I still get additional points on my application and they said they do not disclose anything about the points :wacko:- so my answer was not answered. So I am currently unsure- I would think they would mention that I would not be considered a graduate applicant if that was the case!

I think its different for course based people because its always written on ur transcript and because likely you'll get it. 
Its different for research based Master's because sometimes people can finish in a year, two, or three. so its hard to be like oh im done without having the degree. This is what i THINK they mean. 
it is all very confusing and i feel like theyre unsure themselves.. sigh. 

Yeah I know what you mean, but I think the conferral issue is only for course-based master's- for the thesis-based you don't have to be conferred to be considered a graduate applicant and get the extra bonus points! You can be in the "progress" to completing your masters (thesis) and still be considered for extra points. The issue is for course-based master's since you need to have the actual conferral before the deadline to be considered and many graduate after! Hopefully this makes sense....

On 9/21/2021 at 10:42 AM, HopingForBest said:

Yeah I know what you mean, but I think the conferral issue is only for course-based master's- for the thesis-based you don't have to be conferred to be considered a graduate applicant and get the extra bonus points! You can be in the "progress" to completing your masters (thesis) and still be considered for extra points. The issue is for course-based master's since you need to have the actual conferral before the deadline to be considered and many graduate after! Hopefully this makes sense....

Yeah on OMSAS I also had to put not yet conferred as I also convocate in November. On the U of T website it says that course based complete or research based in progress/complete counts as graduate applicant so you should be fine!