Premed 101 Forums

How do you approach getting research in your first year at Usask?

Part of the reason I chose to go to Usask is because of the fact that its advertised as a great research school with plenty of opportunities. However, after looking through the website I was unable to find any type of definitive guide on how to approach a professor and get research. Could anyone please offer some advice on this topic if you have had any research experiences at Usask or know how this type of process generally works. Im majoring in Phys/Pharm starting in the Fall if that gives any context.

I did PHPY too and had to approach profs for summer research and Honors. IMHO The best way to go about it is to cold email profs. The website below has a list of profs and what they do research in. Take some time to go through it and just email the profs you are interested in. Alternatively, if classes go back to being in person, approach them after a lecture. Typically you send them an email with who you are, your past experiences and why you are interested in doing research with them (is their topic interesting? have prior experience with the topic). I also attached my CV to the email.

https://grad.usask.ca/programs/anatomy-physiology-pharmacology.php#Researchsupervisors

Good luck!