Premed 101 Forums

How competitive is interventional radiology?

Hi there! 

I'm a medical student thinking of going into radiology, and while I do find diagnostic radiology really interesting ideally I'd love to do a fellowship in interventional radiology. 

We don't really get much info about fellowships, so I was wondering if anyone here has any insight on how competitive IR fellowships are? And expanding on that - is it feasible to apply to radiology with the goal of going into IR?

We don't really get much info about fellowships, so I was wondering if anyone here has any insight on how competitive IR fellowships are?

If you are looking to do any IR fellowship at all, you will be able to find one in Canada applying broadly. Certain locations/institutions are fairly competitive. Because it is a pretty small field, there can be large variations in how competitive it is year-to-year.

In past sometimes people would wander down to the States for training (for learning new techniques/for fun/for prestige) but I am not sure how it works now that IR is partly a direct-entry discipline there. Their training there is also incorporating more clinical aspects to encourage a certain kind of "IR clinician" type physician, rather than the traditional mixed proceduralist-diagnostic imager.

And expanding on that - is it feasible to apply to radiology with the goal of going into IR?

Yes there are people who do this. Most people who do IR also usually like DR to some extent.

On 9/1/2021 at 1:44 PM, 1D7 said:

If you are looking to do any IR fellowship at all, you will be able to find one in Canada applying broadly. Certain locations/institutions are fairly competitive. Because it is a pretty small field, there can be large variations in how competitive it is year-to-year.

In past sometimes people would wander down to the States for training (for learning new techniques/for fun/for prestige) but I am not sure how it works now that IR is partly a direct-entry discipline there. Their training there is also incorporating more clinical aspects to encourage a certain kind of "IR clinician" type physician, rather than the traditional mixed proceduralist-diagnostic imager.

Yes there are people who do this. Most people who do IR also usually like DR to some extent.

Thank you for the reply! I would definitely be interested in a mix of DR and IR so this is great to hear!