Premed 101 Forums

Non academic activities vs employment descriptions

I was curious of peoples thoughts on how to structure the descriptions of these sections. The employment section is clear, list your job duties and responsibilities. Whereas the NAA section is a little more expansive; roles, responsibilities, scope, people involved, etc.

Are people writing these sections differently? Should the employment section be bare bones and just illustrate what you do at work and what you're responsible for?

Let me know your thoughts.

1 hour ago, Dr. Monkey said:

I was curious of peoples thoughts on how to structure the descriptions of these sections. The employment section is clear, list your job duties and responsibilities. Whereas the NAA section is a little more expansive; roles, responsibilities, scope, people involved, etc.

Are people writing these sections differently? Should the employment section be bare bones and just illustrate what you do at work and what you're responsible for?

Let me know your thoughts.

They will assess the employment section for the same qualities they look for in the NAQ, so really you want to be highlighting the same sorts of things in both imo.

Does the admissions committee contact verifiers for all previous positions listed under employment? I recall reading that verifiers are contacted for all non-academic activities, but can’t seem to find any info on employment. I too have positions that are waaay in the past (20+ years), some being businesses that no longer exist. Any advice would be great. Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Moosey said:

Does the admissions committee contact verifiers for all previous positions listed under employment? I recall reading that verifiers are contacted for all non-academic activities, but can’t seem to find any info on employment. I too have positions that are waaay in the past (20+ years), some being businesses that no longer exist. Any advice would be great. Thanks! 

Verifiers are contacted randomly for both employment and non-academic. You’ll have to list someone every entry - as described in a recent related post, if it’s an old activity and you really have no other options (e.g. ab old coworker you’re still friends with) then just choose family or a friend who knew you when you were doing the job and knows enough about it that they could verify it for you, and explain briefly why that was your only option. 

9 hours ago, Moosey said:

If your old employer still exists perhaps they have an HR department. I used to work for a chain and turns out they actually only provide this sort of this through the central HR department. They verify your employment and thats it.