Premed 101 Forums

Prereq and WORKBOOK

PetroleumMD

Hello, 

Im having a hard time filling up my academic workbook for Mcgill please. Can somebody help? a little about me, I registered in a Bachelor in Bio and wasnt interested in the program ( took 3-4 premed prereq during that time), then I abandoned and got a BSc in engineering (3.8 gpa) and now im thinking of applying to med school. took the rest of the prereq courses this summer

How do I enter the prereq in the workbook since they were not part of the "admission degree" which is in Engineering? I truly appreciate ur time and help.

Cheers

Hi, I believe that if the prereq courses were taken as part of your degree, you'd have to fill them out in the section 3 alongside with the other courses of your degree, either it be Bio or engineering. Since you didn't finish your first bachelor, I believe you'd need to put your Bio grades in the section 3 also and the corresponding prereqs with it as they would count in the GPA. However, if they weren't part of  any of your degree, you should only put them in the section 4 of the workbook (prerequisite courses), in that case, they won't be counted towards your overall GPA.

*Edit* I'm not too sure if your uncompleted bio degree would count towards the GPA or only your degree* 

Hope this helps! PM me if you need more help :) 

On 9/5/2021 at 11:25 PM, 1997_axrlt said:

Hi, I believe that if the prereq courses were taken as part of your degree, you'd have to fill them out in the section 3 alongside with the other courses of your degree, either it be Bio or engineering. Since you didn't finish your first bachelor, I believe you'd need to put your Bio grades in the section 3 also and the corresponding prereqs with it as they would count in the GPA. However, if they weren't part of  any of your degree, you should only put them in the section 4 of the workbook (prerequisite courses), in that case, they won't be counted towards your overall GPA.

*Edit* I'm not too sure if your uncompleted bio degree would count towards the GPA or only your degree* 

Hope this helps! PM me if you need more help :) 

Great thanks, that's what I thought too...

On 9/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, BN33 said:

For section 3 , should I put the grade of an uncompleted  degree did before the one I use for my admission?

I believe you just have to include the one for your basis of admission degree. Unless you had some classes that transferred over, in which case I’m not sure.

On 9/6/2021 at 4:06 PM, BN33 said:

For section 3 , should I put the grade of an uncompleted  degree did before the one I use for my admission?

I'm applying with a second degree but it's the same for incomplete ones: we're required to list every university course ever taken. I did it so that my more recent courses were at the top. Take a look at the example they gave because it really helped! 

2 hours ago, shortie said:

I'm applying with a second degree but it's the same for incomplete ones: we're required to list every university course ever taken. I did it so that my more recent courses were at the top. Take a look at the example they gave because it really helped! 

Oh really! Sorry for giving the wrong info above then oops lol. So let’s say I started a degree 9 years ago but withdrew before my first semester even ended, so I have no grades or anything, am I still entering those? Sorry it’s my first time filling it out. I’ll look at the example too, definitely forgot to check that out haha

3 hours ago, shortie said:

Wait sorry, I’m looking at the guide and at the example they provided but I’m not seeing what you’re saying. In the guide it says “while you are asked to list all post-secondary programs undertaken in Section 2: Summary of Post-Secondary Studies” you will not be required to report individual courses or grades for all your programs if they are not part of your basis of admission degree”. But yes if you’re doing a basis of a second bachelor degree you report all courses for both, according to the guide. 

So based on this, you only list courses that are related to basis of admission degree (and second degree if using that), not all university courses ever taken. Section 2 you list all university programs you’ve ever been in yes but not their courses in section 3 if they’re outside of your basis of admission degree. Right? Or am I misunderstanding?

18 hours ago, ceelbe said:

Wait sorry, I’m looking at the guide and at the example they provided but I’m not seeing what you’re saying. In the guide it says “while you are asked to list all post-secondary programs undertaken in Section 2: Summary of Post-Secondary Studies” you will not be required to report individual courses or grades for all your programs if they are not part of your basis of admission degree”. But yes if you’re doing a basis of a second bachelor degree you report all courses for both, according to the guide. 

So based on this, you only list courses that are related to basis of admission degree (and second degree if using that), not all university courses ever taken. Section 2 you list all university programs you’ve ever been in yes but not their courses in section 3 if they’re outside of your basis of admission degree. Right? Or am I misunderstanding?

woops sorry for creating confusion! You're absolutely right! But I would also add to that if any courses from the terminated program were used as transfer credits for the completed program (@ceelbe i know this doesn't apply to you :P), you would need to report those.

3 hours ago, BN33 said:

Hey I am still unsure, should I put the grade for my old incomplete degree or not in section 3.

Thanks

If you want the 100% answer you can contact admissions they’re really helpful and fast at responding. But in my opinion and based on what I understood, unless you had transfer credits that contributed toward your basis of admission degree, then no, you only put the basis of admission degree. But again your best bet might be to contact admissions if you’re still not sure! :) 

4 hours ago, BN33 said:

Hey I am still unsure, should I put the grade for my old incomplete degree or not in section 3.

Thanks

If you want a 100% sure answer, like @ceelbe said, you should contact the admissions office. I do think that if you have any prerequisite and/or transfer credits done in your incomplete degree, you should include it. At the end of the workbook (last section), they give you your admission degree GPA and you can check if it fits with your basis of admission degree GPA or if they combined your incomplete and completed degree. 

7 hours ago, 1997_axrlt said:

If you want a 100% sure answer, like @ceelbe said, you should contact the admissions office. I do think that if you have any prerequisite and/or transfer credits done in your incomplete degree, you should include it. At the end of the workbook (last section), they give you your admission degree GPA and you can check if it fits with your basis of admission degree GPA or if they combined your incomplete and completed degree. 

Not sure if I did something wrong but I don't have my "medicine GPA " anybody know what I could have done wrong?