Premed 101 Forums

I don’t know what province you’re in, but I believe in Quebec for example, you are not even allowed to be admitted at a different med school if you had already previously been enrolled in another one before. 

maybe you could reach out to counseling at y out r current school and try to find a way to work on the issues that are making you want to leave?

9 hours ago, MDee2B said:

I don’t know what province you’re in, but I believe in Quebec for example, you are not even allowed to be admitted at a different med school if you had already previously been enrolled in another one before. 

Exact. After accepting an admission offer in Quebec, you're not allowed to apply for the following five years. I would hope other provinces would have similar rules.

18 hours ago, porque said:

Does anyone have any idea if restarting med school at another would affect residency chances? 
i really don’t like where I am (for many reasons) and am considering reapplying this cycle and starting over since transfers aren’t allow 

pls provide insight/experience

They ask about matriculation on applications and would get you red flagged anywhere. You're gonna have a bad time in residency with even less control over where you go, so either consider another career or talk to your school about your concerns.

I can emphasize with being in a medical school which is not the best place for you.

I made the misguided choice to accept an offer to French-speaking medical school which ended up to me  being a chronically, midly traumatic event due to the daily language and cultural barrier and associates consequences  that I experienced.  This led not only to extremely significant professional limitations (where I believe my potential/efforts were completely nullified as I was reduced to someone struggling with language which led to obvious difficulties), but was also a wipeout on the personal side where critical years passed by in stagnation.  In comparison, for instance, having had a gun pointed at me, once, seems like a momentarily scary event with no consequences. [Fortunately, my situation would be less likely to reoccur given changes in admission requirements at French schools -e.g. CaSPER, etc..]

That being said, I agree with the other posters that restarting MS1 should not be considered as a viable option.  I can only imagine the warning bells that would sound off when an adcom notices that you have had a previous Canadian medical school admission.  You would simply be judged unfavourably, regardless of your reasons.  Even if in the very unlikely situation that somehow you were admitted again, you would be at risk of facing the same questions for residency applications.  

tl;dr unfortunately, regardless of the reasons/situation, you will simply have to find a way to deal with the situation that you are facing.  Counselling could be a good first step.  If there have been any consequences to your medical school record, then it's even more important to show that you have addressed whatever your situation may be.      

Some schools used to accept compassionate transfers after preclerkship (so right before starting clerkship). I don't know if it's done anymore, but it might be worth looking into. Either way, you'd be significantly setting your life back by restarting- I wouldn't recommend it. Try and make peace with your circumstances (much easier said than done; I am trying to do the same as someone who accepted an offer to a school in what turned out to be a very hostile city).

15 hours ago, porque said:

@keipop@bearded frog so actually I verified this with schools and that only applies to Quebec so you could restart in Quebec from any Canadian school!

As far as I know, no other schools have actual restrictions on applying, but as I said they all will ask about previous matriculation and unless you have a letter from your current dean saying why you left and why you would succeed at a different school, they're all going to assume you failed out, or couldn't handle the academic level, etc.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:14 PM, whatdoido said:

Some schools used to accept compassionate transfers after preclerkship (so right before starting clerkship). I don't know if it's done anymore, but it might be worth looking into. Either way, you'd be significantly setting your life back by restarting- I wouldn't recommend it. Try and make peace with your circumstances (much easier said than done; I am trying to do the same as someone who accepted an offer to a school in what turned out to be a very hostile city).

Agree this is worth looking into. Various schools have different policies, and while it's very rare it's not impossible. UBC official policy, for example, states that transfers are possible into third year only - but this requires that 1) there is space (e.g. someone's taken a LOA or been held back, etc), 2) you're in good standing in your program and have the support of your dean, and 3) you have very good reasons to transfer (simply being home sick or far from family is not likely to be enough sadly, as many of us go through that, but you could always ask!).

It is hard to give you a concrete piece of advice. Restarting any portion of med school will not be looked upon positively. A lot of other schools will see that you have been to a school as well. Occasionally you can transfer after as some have suggested but still.

I would try to make it work if at all possible. Stick with it and take the lessons into residency if you can. I think the most important thing you have to do right now is reflect about why you feel the way you do? Is it really the school or is it that you weren't ready, or is it that medicine isn't for you? No one will no the answer to these questions except you but do that before making any sort of drastic shift.. Also you haven't really outlined any good reasons why to do this except that  you don't like where you are for a number of reasons. I have no idea what that could be or why that is. It could mean a ton of things. As Frenchpress pointed out ... being away from family or friends isn't enough. You won't get a say where you go entirely in terms of residency either so this might be a good thing to experience now rather than in the future.

Again the issue is you will have to demonstrate that you have attended a med school, further more it will show it was in North America, and more specifically in Canada. The question will be why didn't this person finish their program after such a short stint. You will need to have a spot to go to and the rate of graduating is in the high 90's in Canada (I think above 95%), much higher than the average American school (which still is in the high 80's to mid 90's.

This too will pass.