Premed 101 Forums

Can you "teach yourself" anatomy?

So my school is a 3-year program, and it seems like there's no actual anatomy class ...just weekly Q&A sessions. I came in to med school with no anatomy background so I definitely feel a bit overwhelmed. I would hate to have to rule out anatomy heavy specialties (I think surgery, radiology, PM&R are the main ones?) just due to a lack of background. 

So is it actually possible for me to teach myself anatomy from the ground up? I do have a physiology background so I'm not completely clueless, but I'm not exactly sure where to start. We're on the respirology subunit so I've been trying to learn the relevant anatomy as it comes up, but I don't know how deep to actually go. 

So yeah would love any tips or recommendations for online resources/books that I can stick to. Thanks!

An hour at a time for a week or two? Fine. All year? Overkill

In my anatomy-heavy specialty, there is a national anatomy review course with cadavers, radiology review, etc that residents can attend that is very helpful. Also went to 3 year school with an engineering background (ie no anatomy before med), the anatomy from my UME training wasn’t an issue.

8 hours ago, ChemPetE said:

An hour at a time for a week or two? Fine. All year? Overkill

In my anatomy-heavy specialty, there is a national anatomy review course with cadavers, radiology review, etc that residents can attend that is very helpful. Also went to 3 year school with an engineering background (ie no anatomy before med), the anatomy from my UME training wasn’t an issue.

Can I ask what you did for anatomy in med school? Did you just learn through the course offered at the school or kind of learn on your own?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2021 at 10:36 PM, Premedwithadream said:

Can I ask what you did for anatomy in med school? Did you just learn through the course offered at the school or kind of learn on your own?

I find that you learn and retain a lot more when you're reading around cases, instead of randomly trying to remember this nerve innervates that muscle, etc, etc. There's no shortage of online resources (The Noted Anatomist is a good place to start I found).