Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Opportunities for FM + RN (partner) duo?


Recommended Posts

Hi all! I am a FM resident who is starting to think about independent practice soon (possibly locums initially). I was wondering how the logistics of delegation to my partner (who is an RN; considering NP) might work. I recognize that every clinic will have in-house nurses, but might there be flexibility to involve/delegate some of my work to my partner through independent contracting via my incorporation (e.g., telehealth diabetes education calls etc.)? 

Are there other avenues through which I can team up with/involve my partner (without owning my own clinic) within appropriate medicolegal limits? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeanutButterAddict said:

I recognize that every clinic will have in-house nurses, but might there be flexibility to involve/delegate some of my work to my partner through independent contracting via my incorporation (e.g., telehealth diabetes education calls etc.)?

Well, this firstly isn't accurate in all provinces, and not all practice settings.

Take a step back, and first tell us where you ultimately would like to practice? That will frame the discussion - as well as if your partner will continue to work as an RN or as an NP, again will alter dynamics.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PeanutButterAddict said:

Hi all! I am a FM resident who is starting to think about independent practice soon (possibly locums initially). I was wondering how the logistics of delegation to my partner (who is an RN; considering NP) might work. I recognize that every clinic will have in-house nurses, but might there be flexibility to involve/delegate some of my work to my partner through independent contracting via my incorporation (e.g., telehealth diabetes education calls etc.)? 

Are there other avenues through which I can team up with/involve my partner (without owning my own clinic) within appropriate medicolegal limits? 

Your relationship notwithstanding, there are certainly options in many provinces for NPs to work under/with MDs. You will need to reach out to your province's college to determine what specific circumstances you can worth with an NP and what you can appropriately delegate and how to bill. In theory this could be as part of an organization, but practically, private practice will be your best bet, as a 3rd party will be hesitant to sign off on you working with your SO when working with other MD/NPs within a larger organization due to conflicts of interest.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JohnGrisham said:

Well, this firstly isn't accurate in all provinces, and not all practice settings.

Take a step back, and first tell us where you ultimately would like to practice? That will frame the discussion - as well as if your partner will continue to work as an RN or as an NP, again will alter dynamics.

 

 

12 hours ago, bearded frog said:

Your relationship notwithstanding, there are certainly options in many provinces for NPs to work under/with MDs. You will need to reach out to your province's college to determine what specific circumstances you can worth with an NP and what you can appropriately delegate and how to bill. In theory this could be as part of an organization, but practically, private practice will be your best bet, as a 3rd party will be hesitant to sign off on you working with your SO when working with other MD/NPs within a larger organization due to conflicts of interest.

Thanks for the replies guys! I would ideally be practising in Ontario. With me potentially locuming in more Northern/rural areas when starting independent practise, I thought teaming up with my partner would reduce the stress of both of us finding jobs at these locum locations. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, PeanutButterAddict said:

Thanks for the replies guys! I would ideally be practising in Ontario. With me potentially locuming in more Northern/rural areas when starting independent practise, I thought teaming up with my partner would reduce the stress of both of us finding jobs at these locum locations. 

Typically a locum will be for a single position... but you might be able to negotiate an ongoing thing for both of you but not for a typical locum (at least for more than a standard stipend)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...