Premed 101 Forums

US GPR/AEGD

Hi everyone,

So in 8 months I'm about to graduate and I was maybe thinking about doing a residency in the US for the trip/experience (I'm feeling quite ready to do the 'bread and butter' procedures in dentistry so that's why I would only apply to the US, I don't have any intention to specialize). My GPA is at 3,5 and I'm mostly looking for the programs in NJ, NY, Connecticut, etc. (in the North east so I would still be close to Montreal where I live) ; I would like to gain experience mostly in surgery and fixed prostho. I would like to hear the experience of canadian dental students who applied to US programs and went through the match process/have done a US residency (AEGD/GPR) and if you would recommend the experience. Thanks ! (My other option would obviously to just dive into private practice and take CE courses, but since I'm young and my debt is relatively low, I thought that a year in the US wouldn't be bad, but the match process is kinda intimidating)

• 1 month later...

Just word of caution about GPR in the states particularly in NYC: you will not likely be treated as a dentist, more like dental student year 5.

yYou will be overworked, underpaid, and faced with a lot of hassle. At the end it sounds cool and all but If i we’re to do it again I would chose a Canadian school without an OMFS specialty. That way you would be able to directly work with oral surgeon, will be reasonably treated and don’t have to take random calls that do nothing to further your experience as a GP.

Having said that, once you graduate I find easier to get  GP Jobs with a GPR than without one as it looks amazing on resume. I would apply to US GPRS but only if I knew I wanted to be an OMFS in the US. Also remember that most US OMFS programs likely require a second year of internship if you take GPR.