Premed 101 Forums

ATTENTION! ALL physiotherapist, students, and anyone who can help me!

Hi, I’m in Windsor Ontario, Canada. I am doing my undergraduate degree in kinesiology and will be applying next year to physiotherapy graduate school. I really need advice. For anyone who reviews application, is a physiotherapist or someone who recently got accepted, please help me. Any tips would help as I’ve wanted to do since childhood as it changed my life. I know grades are a big deal so I am focused on that. I am also working as a student athletic therapist for the university’s volleyball team. Please let me know what is realistic and can guarantee admission considering I have a year and so to make my self competitive. Thank you so much!

I did varsity training as one of my most important experiences going into applications and got into 2 schools last term. I am currently starting my first year at the University of Ottawa. For me varsity training was about 400 hours where as the rest of my experiences were less than 50 hours total. My application was heavily reliant on that trainer experience (my professional reference came from there as well) and my GPA (3.91cum and 3.96sub). Feel free to reach out for any other questions. 

1 hour ago, PT0102 said:

I did varsity training as one of my most important experiences going into applications and got into 2 schools last term. I am currently starting my first year at the University of Ottawa. For me varsity training was about 400 hours where as the rest of my experiences were less than 50 hours total. My application was heavily reliant on that trainer experience (my professional reference came from there as well) and my GPA (3.91cum and 3.96sub). Feel free to reach out for any other questions. 

3.96sGPA.  I am shocked you got in!

In all seriousness, I cringe everytime someone posts a GPA this high and says they got accepted.  Like of course you'd be accepted with a GPA that high. 

12 hours ago, pthelper1996 said:

if it makes you feel better i got in with a 3.72 sGPA and 3.37 GPA 

Which school?  You must have had a lot of experience.  I've been trying for the past year and a half to get any shadowing and volunteering experience but I have had zero success.  I have tried everything, calling, going in person to hand my resume and CV...to about 60 clinics....only to be told they can't cuz COVID.  To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.  Why?  Because the PT schools really won't give a damn about my situation.  I have contacted them so I know this for a fact.

On 9/17/2021 at 11:28 AM, zerochance said:

Which school?  You must have had a lot of experience.  I've been trying for the past year and a half to get any shadowing and volunteering experience but I have had zero success.  I have tried everything, calling, going in person to hand my resume and CV...to about 60 clinics....only to be told they can't cuz COVID.  To say I'm frustrated is an understatement.  Why?  Because the PT schools really won't give a damn about my situation.  I have contacted them so I know this for a fact.

Im at McMaster. I had 4-5 years of hospital volunteer experience, some youth groups, research assistant, suicide crisis line, few other things! 

16 hours ago, zerochance said:

That’s a thought provoking reply 

Just not sure what the problem with a high GPA is... no different than a high amount of volunteer or work experience. Its another asset to an application that people work hard for. Some people get in with low GPA/high experience or high GPA/low exp or a mix of both. How we get there does not matter all we have to do is play to your individual strengths and use them to cover shortcomings in other areas

2 hours ago, PT0102 said:

Just not sure what the problem with a high GPA is... no different than a high amount of volunteer or work experience. Its another asset to an application that people work hard for. Some people get in with low GPA/high experience or high GPA/low exp or a mix of both. How we get there does not matter all we have to do is play to your individual strengths and use them to cover shortcomings in other areas

You’re kidding right?  GPA is a lot more important than anything else.  You need a certain gpa each year and if you meet that gpa then your volunteer work only then starts to matter somewhat.  I know people who had so much physio volunteering but couldn’t get in because of their 3.7ish sGPA.  Maybe their Casper was below average I don’t know.

2 hours ago, zerochance said:

You’re kidding right?  GPA is a lot more important than anything else.  You need a certain gpa each year and if you meet that gpa then your volunteer work only then starts to matter somewhat.  I know people who had so much physio volunteering but couldn’t get in because of their 3.7ish sGPA.  Maybe their Casper was below average I don’t know.

Like I said a mix of both they want to see a dedication to the profession and an ability to survive in the program. But it is a master's level university program so grades will have an important role to play