Premed 101 Forums

How many students typically apply to the MD/MSc program each year?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 2:15 PM, AnnyBear said:

A curious question: why would you apply to the MD/MSc program? In my opinion, it is superior to do the MD program first and have the liberty to decide whether I want to continue with a PhD or a MSc after that, so I cannot understand why people choose to apply to MD/MSc or MD/PhD at all. 

For anyone wondering about this in the future - combined MD/MSc or PhD programs have the benefit of providing financial support during both your MD and MSc/PhD years, whereas doing them on your own (not through the dedicated program) means you're on your own for funding the MD years. At Queen's, you'll get a living stipend + tuition covered during the grad school years, and tuition covered during the MD years. Other schools, like UofT, provides both the living stipend and tuition covered for both MD and grad school years. 

Also, generally MD/PhD programs allow you to fast-track the PhD portion, so you graduate with both MD and PhD in 7 years, whereas doing them separately would take 8 years (doesn't apply for the University of Toronto's MD/PhD program however; they make everyone do the full amount of grad school). The application pool is smaller for these combined programs, so it's also an easier route for medical school admissions for some applicants, depending on the specific strengths and weaknesses of their application. (e.g. some candidates are very strong in the MD/PhD pool and are accepted whereas they would not have been as strong in the larger MD applicant pool, whereas others - most - are stronger candidates in the general MD pool)