Premed 101 Forums

MCGILL MED-P/DENT-P 2022

elgamal123

Hi Everyone!!

So I had a couple of questions if anyone could answer it would be highly appreciated!

1) Right now I am in my last semester of CEGEP (I did my CEGEP in 4 semesters, however i started during the winter semester). Obviously I want to apply to med-p and dent-p at mcgill. However, in order to do so that would mean that i would have to wait for a semester (since I am finishing my cegep in the fall). Would i still be applicable to applying for mcgill's med-p and dent-p after staying for a gap semester (not doing any studies)?

2) At the moment i have an r-score of 35.2 which is really stressing me out. Like its not a competitive r-score but its not that bad (I like calling it the grey area). But does anybody know if people with r-scores like mine make it into mcgill med-p and dent-p or am I just dreaming that i have a chance of getting in haha? In order to counterbalance my r-score's uncompetitiveness I have been working as a caregiver and i got my first aid and cpr trainings. Other than that i did some volunteering (approx. 100 hours). I also got some trophies back from high school. But does anybody know if people with r-scores like mine make it into mcgill med-p and dent-p or am I just dreaming that i have a chance of getting in haha?

3) I started revising for the casper but could anyone give me any pointers on whats the best method to study for it. I bought the "**DELETED** casper" book but i found the responds they give in the book too unrealistic because they're very long. So does anyone have any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 5:28 PM, elgamal123 said:

Hi Everyone!!

So I had a couple of questions if anyone could answer it would be highly appreciated!

1) Right now I am in my last semester of CEGEP (I did my CEGEP in 4 semesters, however i started during the winter semester). Obviously I want to apply to med-p and dent-p at mcgill. However, in order to do so that would mean that i would have to wait for a semester (since I am finishing my cegep in the fall). Would i still be applicable to applying for mcgill's med-p and dent-p after staying for a gap semester (not doing any studies)?

2) At the moment i have an r-score of 35.2 which is really stressing me out. Like its not a competitive r-score but its not that bad (I like calling it the grey area). But does anybody know if people with r-scores like mine make it into mcgill med-p and dent-p or am I just dreaming that i have a chance of getting in haha? In order to counterbalance my r-score's uncompetitiveness I have been working as a caregiver and i got my first aid and cpr trainings. Other than that i did some volunteering (approx. 100 hours). I also got some trophies back from high school. But does anybody know if people with r-scores like mine make it into mcgill med-p and dent-p or am I just dreaming that i have a chance of getting in haha?

3) I started revising for the casper but could anyone give me any pointers on whats the best method to study for it. I bought the "**DELETED** casper" book but i found the responds they give in the book too unrealistic because they're very long. So does anyone have any suggestions?

Hey!

I am a current Med-P and I will do my best to answer any of your questions or link you to any resources that could potentially be of use to you.

1) This is definitely a foggy area. The French schools likely won't have a problem with this, though you may have to apply for the following year, however McGill is pretty strict about these types of things. If you have a strong reason, it could serve you well to email your questions to McGill's medical admissions office at admissions.med@mcgill.ca. 

2) While many people do not receive interviews or acceptances with R-Scores like this, it is very much possible. I know someone with a very close R-Score to yours who got accepted. The French schools are very feasible with a ~35, but try to bump it up if you can.

3) I think you should balance advice from books (that tend to be very systematic and predictable) and personal experience. Definitely do a lot of self-reflection (I journalled a lot before the exam personally), and really get to know yourself. Be able to relate Casper situations to personal experiences. Make sure you're as impartial in your problem-solving as possible, and having a fast typing speed is definitely an asset. The Casper exam is what you make of it; everyone does it differently. A mix between "traditional" formulaic methods such as "if/then" and personal flair was what I did but the essential thing is to be yourself. They'll read right through an overstructured answer.

Feel free to attend Med-P/Dent-P events throughout the school year for tips and pointers! There are Facebook and Instagram pages to introduce you to these.

Best of luck!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SomeStudent said:

Me too! How did it go? 

It was my first interview so I was a bit surprised with like the format and how I was cut-off mid-sentence during some stations lol. Overall I have 0 clue how I did 

Same! I think it went well, at least I know I did my best! I was so stressed tho, trying to calm my breath down while in the waitroom. I bet we were in the same group. 

8 minutes ago, Med22ab said:

Same! I think it went well, at least I know I did my best! I was so stressed tho, trying to calm my breath down while in the waitroom. I bet we were in the same group. 

Maybe we were! What time was yours? Mine started at 7:41 am 

Good luck with the rest of the process, I know it can get stressful but make sure to take time for yourself!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, jashering said:
On 6/9/2022 at 1:45 PM, anonymous11 said:

I'm 67 on the waitlist for outaouais, do I have a good chance of getting in? Does anyone know the stats for how many people were admitted in outaoauis in 2020 and 2021?

Have you received yours now? 
are congrats in order? 

• 7 months later...
On 3/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, elgamal123 said:

Admitted/rejected McGill:    ---

CEGEP:  Champlain College

R-Score:   35.220

CASPer Quartile:   2nd Quartile

Impressions/comments CASPer:  Well I knew I messed up, but to be honest I thought it would be worse

Hello ,

I would like to go to Champlain  but I do not have many information about this Cegep.  You did like study there ?  . Can we get a good R score at Champlain  ? Also, do you know how many people go to medecin from Champlain.

Thank you 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 1:49 PM, elgamal123 said:

Admitted/rejected McGill:    ---

CEGEP:  Champlain College

R-Score:   35.220

CASPer Quartile:   2nd Quartile

Impressions/comments CASPer:  Well I knew I messed up, but to be honest I thought it would be worse

Hello,

I would like to know what do you think about Champlain ?

Thanks 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2023 at 9:30 AM, Anna1 said:

Hello,

I would like to know what do you think about Champlain ?

Thanks 

Hi Anna!

Champlain is a pretty nice cegep. Its less competitive compared to other cegeps in montreal like dawson or marianopolis. But I guess because of that, you REALLY have to work hard to get a good r-score (since the class strength isn't that high). And so my advice would be, if you know that you are capable of competing with other students "vigouroulsy", and your sure you can be top of your class in a class were everyone is fighting to get into med, then dawson or mari would be good options (bcs since the class strength is high, this will really boost your r-score). But if you want the "safe" option where yes there is still competition, but not as much champlain would be a great option. Personally if I had to do it all again, i would still go to champlain. With regards to the r-score, I think i was the 2nd highest in my batch, the highest r-score was 37, and then there was me with a 35. So it depends by what you consider a "high" r-score. 

Also sorry for the late response its been a couple of months since i last opened the form haha/