Premed 101 Forums

Disclaimer, am just a fellow med student, but this seems like it varies hugely across specialties and within that, programs. Is there anyone from your med school that matched to residency spots this year? I've found that they're often an invaluable source of info and they're as close to the CaRMS process as you can get.

On 9/23/2021 at 8:38 PM, RagnarOdinson said:

As someone that has had surgery on their radar, but doesn't have a significant amount of research, in part cause of COVID among other factors, how screwed am I? I'm an M3, I'm doing some chart review research for a gen surgeon, and one other project that hasn't taken off the ground cause COVID made it impossible to carry out. I have other extra-curricular involvements, tho its hard to say how impressive they are, and not acemic/research related. 

My question is whether surgery is out of the question at this point, and whether its too late to get research under my belt. I'd love some tips as well on how to actually secure these projects, because it's been a struggle to say the least. 

Thanks 

Before residency in surgery, I had no research, its not an issue from my perspective, i.e., you are not screwed! :P

Definitely not too late, it's nice to have a little bit of research under your belt especially at some schools but people match to all programs with little or no research. Securing these projects really depends on a bit of luck. Usually, early career staff surgeons tend to be the most academically productive and they tend to be most likely to be looking for students interested in doing research. Targeting them does help, but it also depends on schools. Some schools just don't have as much a focus on research than others. 

• 3 months later...