Premed 101 Forums

UWO interviews

Guest tamkhan1

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Adversary

You shouldn't be getting a response this early. Last year, they sent out an email in late March for interviews in early April.

Guest Meddream

the interviews are April 22-23??? I thought it was the first week of April...

wow by then UOfT has announced their acceptees!!! wow...that's way late!

Guest sensodyne

yeah, i think UWO is the latest of all the dental schools in Canada. oh but you shouldn't get me started on paying the deposit and then waiting for other schools to send their offers. I dont' know what the exact amount is for u of t, but it couldn't be more than the 8900 UBC deposit that I have to pay by the 24th of this month. I will just leave it at that before I go on another rant about....

Guest Meddream

wow...so are you going to pay the $8900???

I know if it was me I would be very undecisive about it..I think it's a tough call...

If you live in BC and like the school I guess it's not that different but if you are from ON. then yeah good luck with your decision!

Guest sensodyne

hey meddream,

yes, I will be reluctantly paying the $8900. Unfortunately, I won't hear back from the other dental and medical schools that i've applied to until mid-May at the earliest. As UBC already knows, the majority of hte students would rather pay $8900 than risk not getting into any school at all.

btw, I'm a BC resident and I love Vancouver (can't say the same for UBC dentistry, however).

I'm assuming by your screen name that you've also applied to med schools as well. Where did you apply to this year?

Guest ChinaMan2004

For your information, U of T's deposit was something like 1K last year. Not sure if they will increase this year, but yeah, no matter how crazy it gets, it won't break the ~9K limit set by UBC....so THE WINNER FOR RIPPING OFF APPLICANTS IS................UBC!! :P (too much Oscar...)

Guest montana83

Whats are the requirements to get an interview at UWO? From what I've heard u need at least an 80 in each of ur best 2 years and an overall score in the 80's on the DAT (not sure the exact number)

Guest sensodyne

their website says at least an 85 for the overall DAT score is considered competitive. Keep in mind that the avg accepted applicant had a composite score of 98 and a 2 year avg of 84.47. the avg interview score was 84.47.

also, keep in mind that UWO does not consider reference letters or ECs...only grades, DAT, and interview.

Guest predentalguy

to get an interview at uoft this year the average was 3.83 and a cutoff of 3.72... thats nuts...

what you guys think about western.. considering the number of applicants at western has increased by 100 and UofT only by 15.

My hunch is if the average last year was a 84.47 for the grade component than its gonna be around 86 or 87 this year.. what you guys think?

One thing i also thought about.. was that the people in the double cohort should all be in there third year. Western gives bonus points to all those applying in 4th year completing a degree.. so that might take some burden off those who are completing there degrees.

Guest bebostyle

my thought is that the average will not jump that high...84 whatever was for the admitted 55 people..not the people they interviewed..i dont think the extra 100 will have that much of an effect, once they cut it down to a normal # to interview..My guess, maybe favouring more 4th years and an avg of at least 85 in one year and a good score on the reading section primarily

correction..85 in one year to get an interview, and another after to be accepted to be on the safe side..

Guest dentin09

yeah, UWO favours honours students too.

Basically, to achieve 'full marks' or get 'bonus marks' a student should have a full course load (5 courses) and have completed their honours degree... as well as 2 years over 85%, a solid DAT score and epic interview.

Guest Gattuso19

Yeah i asked Trish about the bonus points and she said that its makes almost no difference. I think that they use it more or less if two or more applicants are very similar in most aspects.

I hope these invitations/refusals don't take forever to come like uoft did.

Guest bebostyle

so really it doesn't matter if someone is in 2nd year applying or 4th year? , if a guy in second year has high marks and a great dat..he will get in...proof is that i have 2 friends who get in after 2nd year in the year's before class(not this year's)

Guest predentalguy

Im pretty sure its one year of above 80 to get an interview... I know last year they gave people an interview with one year above 80.

Bebo have u heard 85 as the new number?....

Gattuso19, I think the bonus points do make a difference... last year almost 50% of the class were honours degree students.. and maybe 20 % were masters or PHD. Very few get in without a degree... what u think?

I agree Dent09 that the interview will make a huge difference this year...

Guest bebostyle

this # is just hear say , this 80 as a minimum just seems fishy to me...its like mcmaster's 3.0

if it was truly 80 to get an interview, you'd have about 90% of the applicants being interviewed, i think it is closer to 84-85 with a dat score in the 90's , but that is just my opinion based on what makes sense....and for how the class is made up more of honours or masters, i just think its because they have done more or have had more time to get those 2 good years....which might be why

bebostyle...you said that a good reading score primarily. Does UWO weight that section more or something? I don't think that is true...where are you getting this info?

Guest Gattuso19

predentalguy: I do understand what you are saying. I do think that the reason most of them are with honours degrees is because UWO takes the best two academic years and these people with 4 years under their belt have more years to choose their best two from - see what I'm saying?

I think that they set the bar more or less at 80% best two years - and thats why they say 'we interview 200-250 depending on the applicant pool' (depending on how many people actually reach this standard).

I do think however that for this year the marks will inevitably be raised SOMEWHAT - not drastically. An admissions person (not Trish) told me that numbers haven't deviated that much this year.

Just some insight...

Guest Gattuso19

With regards to the DAT reading section - Trish told me that they look at the sum of all five sections and also look at the reading just to make sure its not "too low" or thats not the reason why your sum may be below 85 or so.

Guest tamkhan1

invites are sent out mid march..i spoke with Trish a week a go and thats what she said.

as for admissions, i think a lot depends on ure current year marks. I dont think western releases all decisions before June, which is when final marks for the current year become available. I believe, to get an interview, you need a cumulative of 80 over two years.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see :)

Guest uoft2005

i don't know where people are getting the number 85% from.

That seems awfully too high for me when the class average of people admitted last was below 85%.

Given that you needed 80 % average and dat total of 85 with 18 (i think) in RC to get an interview gives us an idea of what the competition will be like this year despite 100 increase in the number of apps (the increase will prob do nothing).

For people wondering about the Reading Comp, I talked to Trish few times and she thinks that if the competition is higher this year, they'll raise the RC NOT the average(i.e 80%).

don't get paranoid people, u'll all get ur interviews:hat

Archived