Premed 101 Forums

UWO interviews

Guest tamkhan1

Guest sensodyne

"their website says at least an 85 for the overall DAT score is considered competitive. Keep in mind that the avg accepted applicant had a composite score of 98 and a 2 year avg of 84.47. the avg interview score was 84.47."

I posted that a couple days ago and all the stats are from their website: FAQ section and last year's stats pdf file.

However, they do say, "This minimum score is subject to change depending on the quality of the applicant pool."

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest tamkhan1

yes, the stats are true. but bear in mind that they reflect the avges of people who were admitted. like i said, western will wait for your current year marks and then base their decision on your 2 best years (which could possibly include your current year).

Guest opnbsp

Hey guys I spoke with Trish and based on my stats she said there is a possibility that I may not get an interview this year, even though I got one last year. Here are my stats so you can compare:

Best two years: 84.67 (both years over 84)

DAT: RC - 19, PA - 18, Bio - 22, Chem - 20, Carv - 20

Masters in Biochem

Did my research in dentistry at Western (CIHR group)

Guest opnbsp

Apparently this year the DAT marks are VERY high. The averages only slightly higher. Should have wrote the DAY this year, it may have been easier.

Hey Opnbsp!

Did Trish tell you recently that you might not get an interview this year or prior to application.

We keep getting all these mixed messages here. Someone says that the averages aren't that much different this year according to admissions, others say the averages are higher according to admissions. When you say that the apparently the DAT is much higher this year was this what admissions told you? Did admissions say the averages might be higher this year cause of more applicants?

You see it depends on how they said it. Like us they might speculate also because of more applications. If they already know the stats and its been all calculated then it might be true that the DAT/GPA is higher. Which one is it people?

I find all this frustrating. From now on people should say I think that they are higher..or admissions told me that they are higher .. or admissions thinks they might be higher.

My two cents.

opnbsp,

Just curious...did Trish mention why you might not get an interview? Was it due to your DAT or GPA or both?

Im in a very similar boat to you, everything is almost identical except for the topic of my masters studies.

Western is my final hope so Im definetly praying that I can at least get my foot in the door with an interview.

Also, did she say if invites would be emailed or mailed?

Thanks and good luck!

Guest opnbsp

I'm sorry if I made everyone upset, here is what exactly happened. I called Trish at about noon due to another issue. I asked her about the applicant pool. She was in the middle of I beleive ranking who will get an interview, she said she was in the middle of her excel worksheet or something. Based on that she said with my stats I may not get an interview, and she knows me, I graduate from grad studies at Western in October, so she knows who I am and my stats (I told her again anyways). She said the DAT scores are much higher this year. I asked about the averages and she said not much of a difference from last year, maybe slightly higher. She said my DAT scores may not qualify me for an interview.

Guest opnbsp

Last year and all previously as well I beleive the interviews went out by e-mail. Also, it makes sense that the dat scores are much higher, because the reason (from my understanding) that I didn't get into UBC was my DAT scores, I scored in the 34-35% of all applicants. My GPA was in the 69%, interview the 65%, but I scored in the low 40% overall.

Guest tamkhan1

woah..i shud proly say goodbye to western, then :(

dat scores

RC 20, bio 21, chm 22, science total 22, aa 21, pat 16, carving (not to be mentioned..wayy too loww)

avg over 2 years 80%

shoot, western was my only hope :(:(

Guest Gattuso19

Your DAT total is almost 100 which makes me think that if there is ANY problem at all with your DAT is must be the RC because that is what UWO is obsessed with.

I don't really understand this all though because for example, My RC score was 22 - and I think that was roughly 90th percentile.

I think admissions people are conservative when the speak so that they don't give false hope when they really don't know.

Guest bebostyle

hmmm..i guess all we can do is wait guys..

I got a 96 total on the DAT, and 2 years above 80...one is an 88% , the other is a low 80, tryin' to improve on the second year with my final year this year(im a 4th year student)..RC=21

what that master student is saying is kinda worrying...:eek

Guest bebostyle

Gatusso, i think you may be right..his avg is where it needs to be..if like you said, a way to cut down people would be throught the reading section, then 19 would definitely be avg considering 21 was the avg for the admitted clas last year..

This is basically another mcat-VR-style cutoff! damn you english and your sneaky bastard ways

Guest Audio

well..this is crazy. My best 2 years (excluding my final year which will be about a 90) gives me an average of about 84.4. My DAT is as follows: Bio 24, RC22, CHM 20, PA 19, Carving 11 - a total of 96. According to what's been said, I don't have a shot at Western this year. That's crazy cuz a friend of mine got in last year off the waitlist with an 84.5 average and a 95 DAT. For me to not even get an interview this year would be nuts.

What a bad year to apply man. I'm confident that if I do get an interview though, that I'll have a good shot cuz my two best years including my final year will probably be around an 86.5.

Damn, this is some @#%$ ass news - if it's really how things are going to be!

Guest predentalguy

ya interview invites will be sent out the week of march the 20th...

i dunno last year Trish told me that one can qualify to an interview with one A level year (80 and above) and a DAT score over 85, not having less that 18 in the RC.

So you guys are telling me that they are gonna weed people out this year based on the DAT marks and not the average (for the interview).

thats nuts... im gonna call trish tom and let u guys know..

cheers

Guest sensodyne

hey so it's the week of March 20th? That's what I thought too but someone said it would be next week.

man...I want an interview from UWO but at the same time, I'd like to know whether I'm studying for this challenge exam for no reason...so the sooner i know about the interview, the more motivation I'll have for reviewing for the physiology exam.

anyone else going to take the challenge exam provided that you're given an interview?

Guest Gattuso19

If I receive an interview I will be taking the stupid exam too. I really don't think I will be studying too much. I am an Anatomy and Physiology TA so if I don't pass I really don't deserve this job! Either way I am really not too excited about taking it, granted that I receive an interview.

Yeah someone definately has to call up Trish and dispel all these rumours. This is getting out of hand. There is no way that the top 200 of 600 all have 85% averages with a 95+ on the DAT and in addition a RC of 20+.

I say it again - double cohort is messing everything up.

Guest tamkhan1

true that, man. i really dont think top 200 would have an 85% avg. I mean, 85 is one heck of a good avg!

I dunno about canadian schools, but US schools wont tell you whether you have a chance at interview or not. I called up Columbia dental and inquired about their cut offs and interview reqs and they told me that stats vary so much from year to year that its really hard for them to say anything. I mean, in 2003, a guy with a 3.8 was rejected from columbia and the year after, a 2.98er made it! thats pretty wack!

But again, columbia had an avg entrance gpa of 3.28 last year. Maybe its not so hard to get into ivy leagues, after all.:b

Guest predentalguy

hey guys so i called trish today.. and she was locked down... she wouldnt tell me anything in terms of the requirements to get an interview... all she said was this is a very competitive year.. prolly most competitive...

pretty crazy... if any of u guys who know her better want to take another crack or can find out more info let us know.. thats all i managed to pull off....

OS

Archived