Premed 101 Forums

UWO interviews

Guest tamkhan1

Guest buzz15

Hey guys,

I normally don't post, but just read what everyone has to say on the website...I got an email reply from Trish stating that the DAT marks were generally higher than previous years. She never specified that this will increase the minium DAT scores required but I guess one could assume that the minimum will increase (which for me sucks because I have 85/150 right on the dot but also an OMSAS GPA of 3.85). She also stated that invites for interview WILL be sent out on March 20. No other specifics were given out.

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Audio

guys, i think we need to chill. Yes, it is more competitive. But do you really think that when in other years a DAT of 95 would allow you to gain admission would mean you wouldn't even get an interview this year?

Seriously, i remember someone posting hear saying he just missed out last year from getting in off the waitlist for western and he had an 82% average. It's crazy to think that an 84.5% average now won't be good enough for an interview.

It's more competitive but it can't be that much more competitive.

So I say we all just chill and take it ez till March 20th. And hey, if it really is that competitive, then we'll know that things are messed up and we could have gotten in last year easily. hahahha

Its interesting you say that Audio.

Last year I was waitlisted at SASK and this year I haven't even heard for an interview. :\

shits getting crazy.

Guest BeEasyy

So ppl, how much probability do you give that with a $hitty RC=16, I will get an interview? Average of best two years = 89%, DAT total = 90.

Guest uoft2005

no one knows bud...

i wish i had ur average though.. ur average is :hat :hat

only thing is ur RC... the cut-off last year was 17 according to Trish..

Guest tamkhan1

i hope i can get an interview:b ..my stats are kinda complicated (and off target), though..what do you guys think:

1st year avg: 86% (with 100% course load)

2nd year avg: 75% (with only 60% course load:p )

currently in 3rd year

DAT: 90 total with 21 RC

??

i dunno if western considers only 1 academic year for interviews, or both. if both, then goodbye western!!:(

Guest Gattuso19

This is my final say:

GPA's and DAT marks ARE higher this year. But I really think that this increase will only be slight. How slight? The same as UofT - last year interviewees average GPA was 3.72, this year it is 3.83 (and those stats are true).

If the DAT RC comprehension is higher this year and last year it was 17 - this year it won't be higher than 19/20 as a cutoff if it is indeed one.

It seems that people don't really understand that if a year is deemed "more competitive", it doesn't means the GPA's are jumping to 4.1/4.0's and 110% with DAT's of 31 RC and 32 AA. It just means that more people have good marks and averages are going to be a little higher - as we saw with UofT.

Guest predentalguy

Tamkhan:

My hunch is that they will consider only one year. Since there are people who are applying in there 2nd year as well, and they only have 1 year to show.

Gatsuo:

I agree. I think it will go up this year. A 3.73 last year at uoft to 3.83 this year is huge.

Ive put a lot of thought into this cuz i cant seem to get my mind off of it... but this is my reasoning....

For example if someone who is applying with one A level year of 84 and they are in there 3rd year.... (last year they would have gotten an interview with an 80)

This year will the average for the one A level year go up to lets say 83 or 84.... OR will it be the DAT and RC mark that will be the deciding factor?

My hunch is that it will be one A level year of 80 or above and a composite DAT score of over 90 with an RC of minimum 18 or 19.....

Guest predentalguy

i think u will get an interview... but i mean who am i to say... but if u got a RC 24 and u have two top years of 83.5% ur in solid contention for acceptance in my opinion...

Guest Tonick

Wow thanks for the encouragement man, I honestly thought I was gonna be hardpressed to get an interview... We'll see I guess, you never know how Adcoms think. Good luck to you too!!! :D

Guest Audio

I'm kinda in the same situation. 2 best right now: 84.3 and DAT of 96 (Bio 24, Chm 20, RC 22, PA 19, Car 11:( )

I hope we get interviews. All I need is an interview at Western and I'm in - I'm killing this year with 90s man. God, please save me from having to pay 55K US tuition at Penn next year...please!

Guest bebostyle

heya audio, i think they are gona just take our best ONE year completed to be fair to 2nd years also and to keep in line with the medschool's format also of taking one year above 3.7 ...so whatever your ONE best year is + your dat puts you in a solid position...

I've completed many years. So are you guys saying that for my interview they will base the cutoff for my one best year?

What happens if someone has 90% in their first year and are in their second year where they are getting a 70% average?

What if someone has two years that are 83% and 82% they take the 83%?

So what if they set the cutoff for interview at 84%?

So at the end when they get all the grades for the best two years the person with the 90% is averaged to 80%, but the person that was rejected pre-interview actually had a 82.5% in their best. The first person got the interview with a lower 2 year average?

That seems unfair, but the way you describe it works in my favor.

Archived