Premed 101 Forums

UWO interviews

Guest tamkhan1

Guest bebostyle

well i doubt someone will fall from a 90 to 70..this guy would NOT get in , they would not look at such a huge fall favourably...and they can't be psychics either and say well this guy has an 82 maybe magically he will go up to a 90 this year and balance out...they gotta work with what's there right...

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Preop

hey bebostyle I think he's speaking hypothetically to prove a point that what you said before makes very little sense. You really thing that someone can't have a bad year after having a wicked one???? It happens trust me....;)

LOL.....

Not the way i would have put it preop!

Its not that what he says doesn't make sense...but the possiblity of what I proposed can happen. That's why they should only let people that have completed 2 years apply in this case (so people completing their third years while applying). Actually that is the way I thought they did it but according to what bebostyle (his two friends getting in with only completing two years) that can't be true.

Whatever, from what everyone said (or thinks) I should probably snake an interview. Hopefully for me they tamper more with the RC and not average.

Guest tamkhan1

if you have an avg of 90 in one year and 70 in the next and a cool dat score, theyll call you in for an interview and then one of the top 3 questions will SURELY be about why you dropped to such a low avg after such a stellar year. and if you lie, theyll get you right there, trust me.:b

this is why i think all canadian unis should have a dental application essay, like US schools cuz u can mention all this stuff in the essay; extenuating circumstances and @#%$.

but yeah, technically, western shud only consider one year and dat for the interview, since the applicant pool also has people who apply while in 2nd year.

Hey tamkhan1 !

Is western's dent interview CDA style? I interviewed for dent before but the interviewer did not know my marks. From what you said it seems like they would know your grades at Western and if they asked a question like that then it wouldn't be CDA style. Are they not CDA? or some modified version?

Guest tamkhan1

true true..i dunno if western is cda style or not. i hope it isnt. but dont you think its kinda unfair to applicants to not be able to say why they went so low.

i mean, i have a friend whos dad died a year back; his avg dropped from 87 or 88 to 73 or something. (and i think this is as valid a reason as any for an applicant to not perfrom consistently). how on earth is he supposed to tell uwo about all this stuff??

Guest uoft2005

im pretty sure when u are being interviewed you are asked CDA style questions, the interviewers do not have ur academic records.

that being said, if a studnet gets 90 and 70 after that and he doesn't any other 80+ year, he's rejected despite stellar DAT score. I know it's sad whatever the circumstance is but that's how UWO rolls.

Guest tamkhan1

yeah, true. but wouldnt tht person atleast get an interview. i mean, 90s in one year, 70s in 2nd and good dat scores should atleast get him an interview. then, if his 3rd year avg is below 80's, he'll proly be rejected

Guest uoft2005

yup, agreed.

FUNNY things is.. One person last year got accepted with 79.7%... kinda strange how things work eh?

this dood probably impressed the judges or some shiet ...

Guest tamkhan1

yeah, lol. i guess things are more complicated than they seem. im seriously done thinking about these things..no matter what we all think, all of us have pretty much an equal chance of being accepted and equal chance of being rejected, too:p

and stupid uoft with its stupid killer exams and belled down marks isnt helping me, either:p

Guest DentFlosS

hey everyone

Do you know if i would have to apply as a mature student if I took a year off next year after I graduate?

And if you begin your masters and apply within the first year, do you apply into the undergrad pool or masters pool?

And do your chances decrease if you didn'tn complete your masters?

Thanks

Guest Tonick

DentFloss I think you have to complete your masters, otherwise UWO and U of T won't accept you, that's what I've heard, but I'm not 100% sure.

I have a question of my own... Does the last year count always as one of the top 2 at UWO? It seems like it's gonna be slightly lower %age wise than my first 3 years...

Guest bebostyle

no, if you have already completed a degree, and have 2 excellent years u got nothin to worry about...

its the same as uwo meds really....and ya its kinda annoyign how 2nd years can apply but whatever that is life !

Guest Tonick

That may be true for UWO, I know for U of T that they don't like taking people out of their masters programs. I heard this at an info session that they held 2 years ago.

Guest uoft2005

Tonick,

they take top 2 years out of 4.

NOW, if u took 5 years, you might be at a disadvantage depending on how your 3+4 year went..

I mean this is affecting me now since i did 5 years and my third year wasn't too great. It brings down my average by 2-3 percent.

:hat

Uoft05...

I'm not too sure what you mean by your extra year messing you up and dropping your average. I hope its not what i think it means as there was some buzz about this last year.

Are they combining your year 5 + 4 (looking at them as one year) and then looking at your third year as well?

Cause if that is the case that would apply to me as well and will drop my average too.

Guest uoft2005

dho...

sorry for being unclear.

my top two years are 4th and 5th.

According to Trish, UWO will combine my 3rd and 4th year and view that as one year. So basically they are looking at my 3rd+4th and 5th. I am not sure why they do this and why they don't make it clear on the website as I assume many people will NOT know about this and end up missing the interview even with STRONG 4th and 5th year. :(

This is definitely not appealing to those who have for example,

70 in 1st year, 72 in 2nd year, 75 in 3rd year and 80 in 4th year and 90 in 5th year. If the cut off is 80 this year, he will just miss the cut since 3rd and 4th year is less than 80.

Now.. I'm not sure how much this will screw me but I"m thinking as long as I get an interview I should be OK since 2-3 percent doesn't really make much difference in the final pool(well i hope not).

Hey Uoft2005...

I think that is such bs that they do that. So for everyone else they are looking at 2 years and for you they are looking at 3 years? That's dumb.

Guest predentalguy

hey uoft2005...

So if someone is applying in there 5th year... the average of there 3rd and 4th years are combined into 1 year?.... what about the second year... i guess my question is why did they choose the 3rd and 4th year to clump together opposed to lets say 1st and 2nd... or 2nd and 3rd...

Guest bebostyle

hey guys..that sucks, i just read the FAQ on the uwo dentistry site..wouldn't that rule only apply if your special year closely resembled what you took before? what if those courses are random ones? they woulda still applied it? that's kinda strange..

anyways its kinda scary, on the uwo site in big red letters :

First Year Dental Admissions

INTERVIEW INVITATIONS WILL BE SENT OUT

THE WEEK OF MARCH 2OTH

(All applicants will be notified of the status of their applications at that time)

Guest predentalguy

haha bebostyle... when i saw that too... seems like they are angry or something... cuz people like myself keep calling and asking questions....

im gonna lay off of them for a bit...

Guest uoft2005

dho..

i agree with you on this @#%$... i did my fifth year with the intetion of getting better marks. And I gotta deal with this shieet.

predentalguy,

if u took five years it looks like this..

1 2 3a 3b 4

for me 4 and 3b are highest.. meaning they average 3a and 3b because they are both considered 3rd year.

if you have strong 1 2 or 4 , u avoid this lumping.

does this make more sense? i'm still confused though.0]

bebostyle,

i think that course load is very similar b/w 3rd and 4th year.. I mean you are taking mostly senior courses right?

Unfortunately, this rule applied to everyone i know who did five years , so it really sux! i hope there is a way around it though.

Archived