Premed 101 Forums

Course-based Master's Conferral?

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone knew whether UofT will still provide extra points for graduate applicants applying with a course-based master's that will not be conferred until November? My university holds its fall graduations in November, and I will not be able to be officially conferred until then. I have contacted UofT and all they are telling me is that I would be considered a graduate applicant-> however, they have not been clear withme whether I would be eligible for extra credit? I am getting the impression that UofT is strict with this, and will not even accept a letter like other schools demonstrating that I am approved to graduate!

I would appreciate any insight anyone can provide!

Thank you!

Just to clarify, are you graduating with your Master's this upcoming November 2021? If so, I was under the impression that you would still qualify as a graduate applicant. Just note that UofT doesn't provide "extra points" for graduate students. They're just screened and their applications looked at through a route separate from the undergraduate route. This is a very common misconception. The only school giving you "extra points" is McMaster, and that's 1% for a Master's Degree

Thank you for your reply! Yes, I would graduate this upcoming November! I would still be considered a graduate applicant, but unsure whether I would be eligible for extra credit. The website does say: "graduate applicants will undergo an additional assessment that will provide them with credit on their application." And the recap session video posted on their website also explains that we get additional credit based on their discretion- so I guess they are just not as open about how they give extra points as McMaster is!

Again, the only explicit thing that UofT says about graduate applicants is that they get assessed through a different stream. Credit on an application doesn't necessarily mean extra points (1% or 4%) out of a score of 100% like McMaster explicitly says. I highly doubt you would get more points or have a higher chance of getting in as a result of having a graduate degree. I just think you get assessed in a different stream that tends to value graduate applicants and what they can bring to medicine. Maybe that's what they mean by "credit"? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2021 at 5:21 PM, mayerzttey said:

Again, the only explicit thing that UofT says about graduate applicants is that they get assessed through a different stream. Credit on an application doesn't necessarily mean extra points (1% or 4%) out of a score of 100% like McMaster explicitly says. I highly doubt you would get more points or have a higher chance of getting in as a result of having a graduate degree. I just think you get assessed in a different stream that tends to value graduate applicants and what they can bring to medicine. Maybe that's what they mean by "credit"? 

So this totally wrong about UofT. UofT does not assess graduate students through a different stream. They give bonus marks just like McMaster, but we don't know specifically how much per graduate type, but there is a ranking order depending on Phd, masters research/course, etc. 

In OP's situation, you would not get any "bump" as your course based masters isn't completed. (needs to be specifically for course based). 

On 10/16/2021 at 2:21 PM, Medase said:

So this totally wrong about UofT. UofT does not assess graduate students through a different stream. They give bonus marks just like McMaster, but we don't know specifically how much per graduate type, but there is a ranking order depending on Phd, masters research/course, etc. 

In OP's situation, you would not get any "bump" as your course based masters isn't completed. (needs to be specifically for course based). 

Just out of curiosity, how do you know they give "bonus marks"? Does it say anywhere that they give bonus marks? I'm trying really hard to find this but I can't. Would appreciate it if you shared where you got this source?

To quote on the UofT website:

"Although applicants would be applying through the graduate stream, they are still competing for the same number of seats along with our undergraduate applicants - there are no specific seats reserved nor preference for graduate applicants. However, graduate applicants will undergo an additional assessment that will provide them with credit on their application."

So they mention a "graduate stream" which again, signifies that graduate applicants are assessed through a different stream. In addition, they say provide them with credit on their application. Credit =/= "bonus marks just like McMaster". In my opinion you're gravely mistaken, and the above quotation proves that.

edit: OPs course-based masters is complete, all the requirements are complete, their conferral ceremony isn't until November.

Quote from UofT website:

"I completed all the requirements for my graduate degree, but my convocation is scheduled after the application deadlines. Do I need to submit a letter from the graduate department regarding my status in the graduate program at the time of application?

No. A letter from the graduate department confirming your status in the graduate program is not needed at this time. Please ensure that you make arrangement for your official graduate transcript to be sent to OMSAS. We will conduct verification checks between December and January by reaching out to the graduate contact you have listed on your OMSAS application to confirm your degree and progress."

On 10/17/2021 at 4:54 PM, mayerzttey said:

Just out of curiosity, how do you know they give "bonus marks"? Does it say anywhere that they give bonus marks? I'm trying really hard to find this but I can't. Would appreciate it if you shared where you got this source?

To quote on the UofT website:

"Although applicants would be applying through the graduate stream, they are still competing for the same number of seats along with our undergraduate applicants - there are no specific seats reserved nor preference for graduate applicants. However, graduate applicants will undergo an additional assessment that will provide them with credit on their application."

So they mention a "graduate stream" which again, signifies that graduate applicants are assessed through a different stream. In addition, they say provide them with credit on their application. Credit =/= "bonus marks just like McMaster". In my opinion you're gravely mistaken, and the above quotation proves that.

edit: OPs course-based masters is complete, all the requirements are complete, their conferral ceremony isn't until November.

Quote from UofT website:

"I completed all the requirements for my graduate degree, but my convocation is scheduled after the application deadlines. Do I need to submit a letter from the graduate department regarding my status in the graduate program at the time of application?

No. A letter from the graduate department confirming your status in the graduate program is not needed at this time. Please ensure that you make arrangement for your official graduate transcript to be sent to OMSAS. We will conduct verification checks between December and January by reaching out to the graduate contact you have listed on your OMSAS application to confirm your degree and progress."

I'm also referring to what you have quoted. Applying through the "graduate stream" signifies that you are applying as a graduate student consideration, in which if you fulfill that role, they receive a credit (again, credit), on top of their normal application. Credit is the same thing as bonus marks, in which your application is given an acknowledgement that increases your chances. There is no different stream/pool in which a selected amount of grad students get in solely because they are graduate students. This was also clarified on their admissions update grad videos as someone asked that exact question. 

Regarding OP's situation, best to speak with UofT admin office, directly. You didn't clarify when all your classes are completed. If it's after June 30, then no masters credit, but if it's before then it will be considered, but they'll know best.