Premed 101 Forums

What is my status at Canadian medical schools as a Canadian citizen living in a different country?

guardian01

To begin, I am a pre-medical student in the United State studying mathematics. I was raised in Canada, and lived there until I was about 14/15 when I moved southwards. I lived in Alberta for all that time but was born in Vancouver.

I know it would make far more sense to apply to American schools, and to be sure I will be applying to many American medical schools, I still plan to apply to some Canadian ones such as UofA Calgary UT UO and McMaster.

I'll be applying in the next year's cycle, so I had to ask: how would Canadian schools view me?

Would they see me as an intl applicant given that I went to school and live in America? I am guessing I cannot claim Alberta residency since I left years ago, so would there be any chance of admission at any schools in Canada?

TL;DR: canadian born citizen who is doing UG in the US asking how this affects any applications to Canadian med schools

Can’t speak for Alberta or BC but in Quebec the “residency” status is quite a bit broader than the name actually implies.

there are about a dozen criteria, of which only one criterium needs to be met, in order to be considered a Quebec “resident” and thus be considered an in-province applicant.

wxamples include:

- being born Quebec 

- your parents live in Quebec 

etc

this is irrespective of where you actually live, so you could be considered a Quebec “resident” and be actually living abroad, so long as one of the approved criteria is met. Again, not sure about the other provinces but I would imagine they’re not too dissimilar.

Quebec is actually somewhat unique in its residency criteria - e.g. being born in QC qualifies you automatically.  

Generally, the main criterion is where you grew up (high school)/lived without being a full-time university student for x number of years makes you a resident.

It's best to check the criteria directly, but I suspect AB and BC would be out.   

UofT/UofO and Queen's don't have any IP preference.  Mac does for interviews, but given competitiveness of ON pool not sure it makes a difference.  Western gives an effective boost to SWOMEN applicants and NOSM only really accepts people who grew up in Northern Ontario or very rural areas.    

4 hours ago, MDee2B said:

Can’t speak for Alberta or BC but in Quebec the “residency” status is quite a bit broader than the name actually implies.

there are about a dozen criteria, of which only one criterium needs to be met, in order to be considered a Quebec “resident” and thus be considered an in-province applicant.

wxamples include:

- being born Quebec 

- your parents live in Quebec 

etc

this is irrespective of where you actually live, so you could be considered a Quebec “resident” and be actually living abroad, so long as one of the approved criteria is met. Again, not sure about the other provinces but I would imagine they’re not too dissimilar.

Ohh, I see what you mean. I did a quick visit to UofA's residency requirements and it actually does say so long as I lived a year in Alberta prior to post secondary I am considered an Albertan when applying!

I lived in Ottawa as a very young kid, and was born in BC, so regardless of residency I will be sure to apply to all these schools. Thank you so much.