Premed 101 Forums

Chances with a low cGPA?

Well. I'm finally here, graduating after five years of undergrad.

I'll cut to the chase: 

First year: 1.7 (not a full courseload)
Second year: 3.0 (not a full courseload)
Third year: 3.75
Fourth year: 4.0
Fifth year: 3.7 (not a full courseload)

Cumulative GPA: 3.3

Dipped in fifth year because I didn't know how hard Japanese was going to be (it was a full year course too, so double F). Anyways, the journey's been wild and on one hand I'm proud of graduating (definitely didn't think it'd happen in first year), but on the other hand that 3.3 is still very hard to look at.

I'll be applying to Western, Queens, Dalhousie, UBC (BC resident, around an 81% average so a pretty poor chance), Mac (no chance, but whatever), and maybe an Alberta school—I'll have to double check for this one. I believe for Western/Queens I'll be applying with a 3.8x.

No MCAT scores yet. My practice marks have been pretty poor except for CARS (I double majored in medical anthropology and history) so I'll be spending this year working and testing. I think I have pretty decent and unique ECs that can showcase the type of person I am, what I advocate for, and they're all pretty long-term. My profs liked me (especially the ones who've seen me since I was in first year) so I think my letters will be okay as well.

I've seen people here and there with low cGPAs but decent wGPAs get in, but I guess I'm still very, very nervous. I worked so hard (as does everyone else, I'm sure), and I just hope every day that who I was at 17/18 won't impact my entire future and my longtime dream. I learned a ton from failure too, valuable lessons that I never would've learned had I done well from the start. Studying med anthro and history also really helped me see healthcare in different, unique perspectives and I did a ton of interesting projects thanks to how interdisciplinary my studies were and I really, really would like a chance to see this play out on the field. I'm passionate for all of this, even more so than I was with a 1.7 when I decided to stay instead of packing up my bags to move back home. So many kind professors, friends, and TAs have helped me along the way, giving me greater perspective than I ever could've imagined.

But the reality is that a 3.3 cGPA isn't great, and while my wGPA allows me to apply, I guess I'm unsure about my next steps. Not sure if I need a reality check or if I actually have a chance. Just terrified every day and hoping that this wasn't for naught.

Thoughts?

Can't give chances without MCAT for Queen's/Western since they have strict cutoffs. Also, you need to fulfil Western's 3/5 and course load rule for GPA to count.

With a 3.3 GPA you should not apply to Mac since you are OOP and even 132 CARS will not be enough.

81% GPA will be extremely hard at UBC unless you have 95th+ percentile NAQ score.

I don't know about Dal but OOP is very diffcult. 

tl;dr- yes your past will affect you for Mac/UBC hard, but if you have a high MCAT you still have a shot for Queen's/Western.

11 hours ago, offmychestplease said:

Also, you need to fulfil Western's 3/5 and course load rule for GPA to count.

I’ve fulfilled it.

5 hours ago, Bambi said:

2nd undergrad degree with competitive grades

I can’t afford this. I work three jobs because I’m the only person in my family who can work.