Premed 101 Forums

Switching careers - asking employer to be a verifier without jeopardizing career?

Hi all!

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. I completed undergrad + master's in a health/science field a few years ago and have been working since then. I've often toyed with the idea of going to med school and decided to take the plunge and apply this year, though I do like my job now.

However, it seems like it's important to provide a verifier for my current employer (I'm applying to QC schools and McGill does not require a verifier for every activity) - but I work at a tiny firm of five people and am the most junior employee, so there's no way to do this without asking my boss. How can I broach this topic to them without risking my position here? I'm conscious of the fact that I may not even get into med school, in which case I'd like to keep my current job...

I've seen a few posts on this forum about breaking the news to your employer after you get in - how did you get around telling them in the first place? I could potentially not include a verifier as I only started this job in 2021 and have other prior employment... but that seems risky...

15 minutes ago, CareerSwitch said:

Hi all!

I'm sure I'm not the only one in this situation. I completed undergrad + master's in a health/science field a few years ago and have been working since then. I've often toyed with the idea of going to med school and decided to take the plunge and apply this year, though I do like my job now.

However, it seems like it's important to provide a verifier for my current employer (I'm applying to QC schools and McGill does not require a verifier for every activity) - but I work at a tiny firm of five people and am the most junior employee, so there's no way to do this without asking my boss. How can I broach this topic to them without risking my position here? I'm conscious of the fact that I may not even get into med school, in which case I'd like to keep my current job...

I've seen a few posts on this forum about breaking the news to your employer after you get in - how did you get around telling them in the first place? I could potentially not include a verifier as I only started this job in 2021 and have other prior employment... but that seems risky...

Do you have a trusted coworker that you can ask to act as your verifier? This is what I did, but I had been working at the same company for 15 years and could trust several coworkers with my med school project and knew they would not tell the boss.

Also, McGill asks for 4-5 verifiers, so you don't have to list a verifier for every entry. See here, at the end of the document, where this is mentionned: https://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/files/medadmissions/cvmd_verl_instructions_to_candidates-eng-v2.pdf

I really don't think its super risky not to include your actual job. I think people looking at the cvs can understand that, for a professionnal or non-trad, its more difficult to provide a verifier for your actual job, as opposed to someone working part-time while in school... I would not stress too much about it. 

If you decide to talk to your boss about it, the risk of loosing your job is also probably very low, with the workers shortage right now. Employers are probably not very prone to firing people right now just because they want to explore another option like med school. I am pretty sure a lot of bosses would be thrilled for their employees to pursue their dream! 

Hey I'm starting at McGill this year and the only verifier that was contacted that I know of was my current job at the time, it was a real full time job and I think it might be better to find someone. Luckily my boss was happy to do it, McGill I think prefers verifiers for the most recent or most important things. I didn't put verifiers for my superficial entries but yeah I'd suggest getting one for the most recent job you have even if its an uncomfortable ask. As a non-trad I felt bad asking but my boss was fully ok with it. Going to med school's a great reason to leave and there are a lot worse reasons most bosses have to deal with

I'm going through the same thing. I'm thinking of being straight-up with my boss, explaining that it's a highly competitive process and a long-shot that I'd actually get in, and ask them to be a verifier on that basis. I know my boss will be happy to do it, but I do feel awkward asking. 

I thought the same thing as I been working for 6+ years after undergrad. So this job has a good chance of being contacted by McGill. I can relate because I was nervous bringing it up to my manager. Turns out, she was super supportive and really encouraging about applying to McGill (she even had dreams to apply to med but her circumstances didn't allow it). It's awkward at first, but I feel like a weight lifted off my shoulders just by being straight up about my ambitions. Not saying that every boss would have the same reaction, but I was glad I did it. Feel free to DM if you need to chat. Good luck!