Premed 101 Forums

For profit premed consulting website trashing premed101

deeman101

Has this been brought up here before? These for-profit vultures already piss me off for preying on the bright-eyed hopeful premeds that may be a bit lost. But this is next level BS to slander premed101 to further their own gains. 

https://bemoacademicconsulting.com/blog/top-5-reasons-to-avoid-online-premed-forums

Honestly, never been a fan of **DELETED**. Feels like any one of the experienced members here can give just as good of advice as they can. However, sometimes this forum does pose unrealistic expectations for interview invites, acceptance, extra curriculars etc. Still, the gems of advice here make it worth it imo

(also i love seeing how these forums give amazing advice at times all for free. as someone from a lower SES background, its a nice stick it to these expensive consulting companies ;))

On 10/1/2021 at 8:23 AM, hanoori said:

Honestly, never been a fan of **DELETED**. Feels like any one of the experienced members here can give just as good of advice as they can. However, sometimes this forum does pose unrealistic expectations for interview invites, acceptance, extra curriculars etc. Still, the gems of advice here make it worth it imo

I agree that many of the posts here are reflective of the highest of high achievers so posted gpa or mcat or extracurricular achievements might tend toward the extremes and those with lower scores are less likely to post.  

As long as one takes the info with a grain of salt about this bias and doesn’t let it dissuade them, then it is a great FREE resource and community. 

On 10/1/2021 at 10:23 AM, hanoori said:

(also i love seeing how these forums give amazing advice at times all for free. as someone from a lower SES background, its a nice stick it to these expensive consulting companies ;))

You aren't wrong but those companies in many ways are worse - it is in their best interest for people to think they have a shot but only a shot if they have their help which of course they are willing to provide for a "reasonable" fee. Realism is not exactly the top priority. 

My work on the forum, along with many others,  has been in many ways a direct counter response to those companies. We do what they do, often much better, and for no fee. I do take a certain amount of pleasure knowing we annoy them. 

The best advice I got though was to stay off of premedical forums in the midst of applications. Just way too much comparing myself to others who have outstanding e-stats (GPA/MCAT/EC'S). Just really ended up psyching me out.

But for developing an initial game plan, these forums were invaluable. Also for the CaRMS match, the forums were useful (with the caveat of trying not to compare myself to other people)

I never used prep companies because I don't got that kinda money to spend.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:58 PM, Bambi said:

We have proven ourselves for many many years in providing excellent advice to our membership and so many of us got into medical school from what we learned right here!

There are greedy vultures everywhere.

Unfortunately I notice some medical students try and do this to pre-meds and offer "consulting" for fees. Look, I know medical school is expensive, but please just don't do this. Never sat right with me.

• 1 month later...

From that website link: "This is why most savvy students that get in avoid visiting Premed101 forums. Of the few real members on Premed101, there are many bad apples."

Hahah fake news!!! Most people I met in med school have at some point relied on forums such as this one. I did myself and was probably the best resource for me with no close friends or family members in medicine, etc!  I agree with my long-term posters above - it gives me incredible satisfaction to know we live in their minds rent-free :) come at us!!!!