Premed 101 Forums

Devastated after MCAT (1st time), desperately need help!

DaisyR2002

Hi everyone,

I just did my first mcat and got a 492, I was scoring ~500 on the samples. Im so disappointed I was aiming for a 505+. I don't think I studied well, I did content review for the first month, I read the kaplan chapters, didn't attempt the end of chapter Qs as I heard they were useless and for Pych/soc I read the 300 page doc. Then I did Uworld for the entire second month , then the last month I did AAMC fls, with aamc sb/qp etc until the final exam on August 26th. During the first month of content, I used an anki deck I found and did the corresponding kaplan chapter anki deck each day (2 chapters a day, thus two decks). After the content month, I stopped doing anki, and only did Uworld, and never really picked up anki again. It might come better hearing it from someone else but can anyone explain what I should do to score better, if I had been doing anki review the whole way throughout would my score have been higher? Also when I retake should I do uworld with content or after? I really messed up and I wont let this happen again but any help would be appreciated!

This is a sample schedule I made based on my mistakes this year:

THINGS TO DO NEXT YEAR:

>MAY: (5-6 WEEKS)

-content (2 chapters/day) + Anki + U world

>June: (WHEN CONTENT IS DONE)

• Uworld + Anki
  • AAMC SB/QP

>JULY:

-AAMC SB/QP + ANKI 

-FILL CONTENT GAPS

>AUGUST:

• PRACTISE AAMC EXAMS (REVIEW THROUGHLY)
  • RE-DO AAMC SB/QP
  • ANKI EVERYDAY

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience with MCAT prep companies. I have done the Princeton Review courses, and they did not help me at all. I did very poorly on my first attempt. After doing a lot of research, I found MCAT Self Prep (https://mcatselfprep.com/ref/110/). They keep everything organized, and it allows you to go at your own pace. Princeton Review didn't work for me for various reasons, but the biggest con was that it was like taking classes over the summer, and it consumed my life. I had to be there, and it wasn't flexible. If I had my time back, I would not have spent so much money on PR. I wish I had done my research beforehand. MCAT Self Prep is significantly more affordable and better in every way. They provided me with the tools that I needed to succeed. 

Anyways, I hope this helps at least one person who cannot afford to take a $2000 course full-time.

Best of luck!

I don't think anki is helpful for the MCAT. I would focus more on understanding with a review book on high yield topics and then doing practice exams and passages. Albeit, I wrote the old MCAT so not sure if this still applies to the new one. But that's what I would suggest. Good luck on the next go.

Use one good review book. Then do tons of passages.

• 5 weeks later...

If you need more practice questions/streamlined content review, the Exam Krackers books are great. I did go through a Prep 101 exam prep course because I was really unable to self study and needed the structure of the course. But the books themselves are really great in my opinion and the books are set up so you test yourself with practice questions for specific content as you go along. I found princeton review books to be too much content and overwhelming.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:27 PM, Persephone said:

If you need more practice questions/streamlined content review, the Exam Krackers books are great. I did go through a Prep 101 exam prep course because I was really unable to self study and needed the structure of the course. But the books themselves are really great in my opinion and the books are set up so you test yourself with practice questions for specific content as you go along. I found princeton review books to be too much content and overwhelming.

Agree with Examkrackers and prep101 as good resources 

- G 

On 10/1/2021 at 8:15 AM, drtobe21 said:

Hi all,

I just wanted to share my experience with MCAT prep companies. I have done the Princeton Review courses, and they did not help me at all. I did very poorly on my first attempt. After doing a lot of research, I found MCAT Self Prep (https://mcatselfprep.com/ref/110/). They keep everything organized, and it allows you to go at your own pace. Princeton Review didn't work for me for various reasons, but the biggest con was that it was like taking classes over the summer, and it consumed my life. I had to be there, and it wasn't flexible. If I had my time back, I would not have spent so much money on PR. I wish I had done my research beforehand. MCAT Self Prep is significantly more affordable and better in every way. They provided me with the tools that I needed to succeed. 

Anyways, I hope this helps at least one person who cannot afford to take a $2000 course full-time.

Best of luck!

Totally not trying to plug a referral link in your post, ahem, not at all…