Premed 101 Forums

Interview Invite Update

On 11/1/2021 at 3:58 PM, plant.Dr said:

Thank you so much!! I received basically the same email (asking for more details) but for NB. Did they specifically confirm/write in the email that you were in the IP NS stream? For me it was "thank you for clarification regarding your residency status". 

What specifically did they ask you to provide? Thanks!

"The virtual interview process is relatively straight forward. The asynchronous format means
that you will have about 45-60 minutes to provide video-recorded responses to a sequential
series of recorded questions. After reading your first question, you will have 2 minutes to
reflect, and then you will have up to 7 minutes to provide your video-recorded response.
This allows us to capture your candid responses. You will continue this process until you
have provided responses to all five questions."

Directly from the e-mail!

1 hour ago, PEIhopeful97 said:

"The virtual interview process is relatively straight forward. The asynchronous format means
that you will have about 45-60 minutes to provide video-recorded responses to a sequential
series of recorded questions. After reading your first question, you will have 2 minutes to
reflect, and then you will have up to 7 minutes to provide your video-recorded response.
This allows us to capture your candid responses. You will continue this process until you
have provided responses to all five questions."

Directly from the e-mail!

So I am assuming around 5 questions in total?

39 minutes ago, Medschool12345 said:

I also am OOP in Ontario and haven't received an email. Wondering when we will hear!

I know, trying to keep expectations low, especially after seeing so many OOP with amazing stats getting rejected. Im going on my portal as well and I dont see step 3, so I dont know what to make of anything loool 

47 minutes ago, mayerzttey said:

I'm confused with all the OOP rejections. Is it usually this bad? Were there more IP students applying this year due to COVID (less moving around, etc.)? 

Dal only has 9 places for OOP students from their class of 124. They get around ~600 applicants for those 9 spots. It's always this bad. 

Dear Dalhousie OOP applicants!

As an OOP from Ontario, I got my rejection today. Yes, I did not have a maritime connection but I did not force a connection either. I spoke about what appeals to me about Dalhousie Med school and tied in my personal experiences: Working with diverse populations, cultural competency, early clinical exposure, rural experience etc. Got my MC essay checked by 5 people, 4 of whom went to Dalhousie. Clearly, they were looking for something else. In my opinion, It is the MC essay that dinged most of us. 

My stats: cGPA: 3.97, Dalhousie GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 515, (130, 128, 131, 126). Casper: 3rd quartile. (I know OOP candidates with better stats than me have been rejected as well).

For those who will get interview invites tomorrow, can you kindly provide any input for the " successful" MC essay? This will be very valuable for those of us trying to find answers and may be apply next year.  

I will be truly grateful. 

2 hours ago, Keep Persevering said:

Dear Dalhousie OOP applicants!

As an OOP from Ontario, I got my rejection today. Yes, I did not have a maritime connection but I did not force a connection either. I spoke about what appeals to me about Dalhousie Med school and tied in my personal experiences: Working with diverse populations, cultural competency, early clinical exposure, rural experience etc. Got my MC essay checked by 5 people, 4 of whom went to Dalhousie. Clearly, they were looking for something else. In my opinion, It is the MC essay that dinged most of us. 

My stats: cGPA: 3.97, Dalhousie GPA: 4.0, MCAT: 515, (130, 128, 131, 126). Casper: 3rd quartile. (I know OOP candidates with better stats than me have been rejected as well).

For those who will get interview invites tomorrow, can you kindly provide any input for the " successful" MC essay? This will be very valuable for those of us trying to find answers and may be apply next year.  

I will be truly grateful. 

As someone with similar stats who was rejected as an OOP as well. I wrote about the same things as you in my MC essay. The thing is, if you have a Maritimes connection you're able to uniquely use your own personal experience to write the essay. Ultimately as OOP applicants who did not grow up and live in the MTs we do not have that unique experience. I know there are people who were rejected with that unique connection, but I think that just speaks to the connectivity of their essay. 

EDIT: NOT TO MENTION THIS PROCESS IS ABOUT 70-80% LUCK. DO NOT THINK TOO MUCH ABOUT IT. 

Correct. Thanks for the support! It hurts to get rejected after paying 100% attention to every step of the application. 6 essays! It is hard to have an MC  connection when there is no connection. However, last year OOP  with no connections who wrote honest, genuine essays got invites. May be the application pool is too big this year and much more competitive? Did you apply to UBC? I have no hopes from UBC after this rejection.