Premed 101 Forums

Alright, feeling discouraged. Send help

Hey all :)

grad applicant here. I’ve never posted on any forum before so here goes nothing. Feeling super discouraged after getting back my mcat score and don’t know what to do. I think I need Jesus? 

I obviously already applied to queens since omsas closed the 1st, but I got my mcat score back today and I am worried I’m now out of the running for queens. I know it’s a black box but I have no one else in my life to talk about this with, so I’m coming to you, kind internet people. Please advise. Stats are below:

2Y GPA: 3.95 (significant upward trend and low cGPA)

mcat: 126/126/127/127 (506 total)

ECs: extensive research experience and conference presentations (one international) with 2 manuscripts in preparation, leadership activities (president of two clubs), service ethic activities (sorry bc applicant as well so I differentiate the ECS based on the UBC application). I also wrote about a personal experience on overcoming adversity throughout my childhood (being vague for anonymity).

I think I really just want to know if I should start the crying process now based on my mcat score and cars score? I increased my score since my first write last summer but my FLs were way higher so I’m pretty bummed. 

good luck to everyone else, sending positive vibes your way!

Based on stats from last few years of QMed interviewees, no one can say for sure. Some years had a CARS cutoff of 127 and some had a 126 cutoff. What I will say however is that based on your MCAT score, you should've applied to Queens even if you got your score before the OMSAS deadline. If you didn't apply for Queen's, I can tell you for certain you won't accepted there. However as is, I don't know if you will get an interview or not and that itself makes it worth it to have applied.

2 hours ago, Apex said:

Based on stats from last few years of QMed interviewees, no one can say for sure. Some years had a CARS cutoff of 127 and some had a 126 cutoff. What I will say however is that based on your MCAT score, you should've applied to Queens even if you got your score before the OMSAS deadline. If you didn't apply for Queen's, I can tell you for certain you won't accepted there. However as is, I don't know if you will get an interview or not and that itself makes it worth it to have applied.

Thanks for replying :) I did apply to queens this year. I know I just have to wait but I always like to try to rip the bandaid off as early as possible if you get what I mean hahaha. But thank you for your advice!

On 10/6/2021 at 12:40 AM, GradMedHopeful said:

Thanks for replying :) I did apply to queens this year. I know I just have to wait but I always like to try to rip the bandaid off as early as possible if you get what I mean hahaha. But thank you for your advice!

I feel you! The wait is agonizing and I'm in the same boat. Best of luck to you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 1:42 PM, AnnyBear said:

I also applied to Queen's and am feeling uncertain right now. Based on reading the applicant information from the OMSAS website, I got the sense that Queen's care more about ABS and references, which you have a lot of. Good luck to all of us! 

Hey thanks for replying! Sorry I’m just seeing this now. Thanks for such a kind and uplifting reply :) I’m wishing you the best of luck! I’ll be rooting for you to get an interview this cycle!!