Premed 101 Forums

Second-choice program

mid

Hey everyone!

I'm in my second year of cegep, and unfortunately with my r score so far (low 34), I have to look at other programs, given it is quite possible I won't get into premed :/ (Although I did notice UdeM's min r score went down significantly, hopefully it stays like that lol.) I'll be applying to pharmacy and physio, but those also have pretty high r score requirements and I need a program that I know I'll definitely get into.

I came across the Computer Science and Biology program at Mcgill and with the min r score of 30 it seems like a pretty good second choice. I don't have much interest in CS, but it seems like a really great choice for internships/job prospects, esp if I have to wait to reapply to med in the future. Ultimately though, I love bio and really want to go into med. I could do a Life Sciences degree - but you can't really get a job with that without grad school, from what I've heard. CS seems much more practical.

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on doing this program/a CS program before applying to med in the future? Or any suggestions of choice in premed programs in general? I was thinking nursing might be good, but then I read on this forum that it might not give you the strongest science background + there's a lot of subjective grading.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments, especially your personal experiences!

<3

2 hours ago, mid said:

Hey everyone!

I'm in my second year of cegep, and unfortunately with my r score so far (low 34), I have to look at other programs, given it is quite possible I won't get into premed :/ (Although I did notice UdeM's min r score went down significantly, hopefully it stays like that lol.) I'll be applying to pharmacy and physio, but those also have pretty high r score requirements and I need a program that I know I'll definitely get into.

I came across the Computer Science and Biology program at Mcgill and with the min r score of 30 it seems like a pretty good second choice. I don't have much interest in CS, but it seems like a really great choice for internships/job prospects, esp if I have to wait to reapply to med in the future. Ultimately though, I love bio and really want to go into med. I could do a Life Sciences degree - but you can't really get a job with that without grad school, from what I've heard. CS seems much more practical.

I was wondering if anyone had thoughts on doing this program/a CS program before applying to med in the future? Or any suggestions of choice in premed programs in general? I was thinking nursing might be good, but then I read on this forum that it might not give you the strongest science background + there's a lot of subjective grading.

I'd appreciate any suggestions/comments, especially your personal experiences!

<3

Hey! I cant really tell you what to do, but I can tell you what you should not do: get into a program which you have low to none interest for.

Trust me, the best thing to do is find a program that'll make you happy nonetheless, don't look at numbers and stuff. If med interests you, go for pharmacy, there's a lot of bio I promise ;)

22 minutes ago, Med-dream101 said:

Hey! I cant really tell you what to do, but I can tell you what you should not do: get into a program which you have low to none interest for.

Trust me, the best thing to do is find a program that'll make you happy nonetheless, don't look at numbers and stuff. If med interests you, go for pharmacy, there's a lot of bio I promise ;)

Haha I'm definitely going to try for pharmacy!! it's just not certain bc of my low r score :( Thank u for your input tho, you're so right :)